Picture of Manuel Lienemann
Unable to load course/config.json
by Manuel Lienemann - Tuesday, 27 June 2017, 8:47 AM

Hey guys,

I was trying to host An Adapt-Course in our LMS. After launching the cause I'm only able to see the loading screen. My IE 11 console says that the browser is unable to load the course/config.json. 
Is there any setting missing? Or maybe our LMS is outdated?

EDIT: The course.json is available. 

Kind regards

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Unable to load course/config.json
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 27 June 2017, 9:30 AM

Check config.json for errors... it'll most likely be a missing comma or something similar. A tool like http://jsonlint.com/ is useful for this.

by Manuel Lienemann - Tuesday, 27 June 2017, 10:21 AM

Thanks for ur quick responde. I tried jsonlint. Unfortunately there was no error and the code was valid. I attached my config.json. The file is fully generated by the Authoring Tool. I haven't changed anything manually.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 27 June 2017, 11:00 AM

Then it may be that your server is not configured to have the JSON mime-type. Easiest way to check is to try uploading your course to a different server that is definitely set up correctly - e.g. SCORM Cloud - to see if it works there or not.

by Manuel Lienemann - Tuesday, 27 June 2017, 11:17 AM

Hey Matt,

at first thanks for your response. Secondly the SCORM course is working on a Trial SCORM-Cloud. Unfortunately this means our company isn't able to use Adapt for future projects. Our LMS seems to be outdated :/

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 27 June 2017, 11:57 AM

Unfortunately this means our company isn't able to use Adapt for future projects

It probably is just that the web server that your LMS runs on is not configured to have the JSON mime-type; something that is very easily resolved.

Worth doing since JSON is not unique to Adapt, it's a pretty standard data file format.

by Manuel Lienemann - Tuesday, 27 June 2017, 12:53 PM

I got in touch with some technic guys of our company. Let's hope they will find a solution!

Thank you very much Matt.

Picture of Santosh G
by Santosh G - Monday, 18 January 2021, 6:48 PM

Hi Matt,

Using Authoring tool (most latest version) and working on Oracle Cloud

I have been running into the same issue that my course is not going beyond the loading screen and giving an error “Unable to load course/config.json” whereas the other courses (build manually) which uses JSON are working fine so assuming my server is configured the JSON mime type.

I also, have tried changing the extension to txt but there was no luck.

Below are the kind of errors:

• When upload the the packed as downloaded from the tool:

GET https://ldms-lcms-prod.gaiacloud.jpmchase.net/s3/getObject/na-3j-ldmsifa-prod-lcms-s3-12/prod-8a13d70c-e338-42a9-87a0-c1e810129b2a_1/course/course/config.json 500 (Internal Server Error)

• When uploaded the package by changing the extension to .txt:

GET https://ldms-lcms-prod.gaiacloud.jpmchase.net/s3/getObject/na-3j-ldmsifa-prod-lcms-s3-12/prod-8a13d70c-e338-42a9-87a0-c1e810129b2a_1/course/course/config.txt 500 (Internal Server Error)

Requesting your expertise to tackle with this issue.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 10:12 AM

I can take a look at the config.json if you send it over but otherwise there's little I can do to help: it's an 'internal server error'.

You could also try the same course on SCORM Cloud/other LMS just to verify whether it loads OK on there or not.

Picture of Santosh G
by Santosh G - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 11:03 AM

Thanks for taking a look MAtt. Here is the attached the JSON file.

It is working like a charm in scorm cloud.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 11:58 AM

Most likely the file encoding will be the source of your problem:

From RFC 8259:

Implementations MUST NOT add a byte order mark (U+FEFF) to the beginning of a networked-transmitted JSON text.  In the interests of interoperability, implementations that parse JSON texts MAY ignore the presence of a byte order mark rather than treating it as an error.
Picture of Santosh G
by Santosh G - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 1:12 PM

I have changed the encoding to utf-8 but no luck and its the same error again :(

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 2:25 PM

Assuming the file has definitely replaced OK and it's not somehow caching the old version - I don't know. You'll have to speak to whoever manages that server to find out why it's failing to serve what is (now) a valid JSON file.

Picture of Santosh G
by Santosh G - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 2:59 PM

It has been replaced. However, below is the issue when accessing the json file which i forgot to mention in the in the initial post

Whitelabel Error Page

This application has no explicit mapping for /error, so you are seeing this as a fallback.

Tue Jan 19 09:54:26 EST 2021
There was an unexpected error (type=Internal Server Error, status=500).

I am initiating the discussion with my cloud team to see if they can help finding a resolution, let me come back