Picture of Richard Hardwick
Moodle and iOS
by Richard Hardwick - Wednesday, 12 July 2017, 9:46 AM

Hi

I am having problems with courses displaying on iOS devices.  The course is launched from MOODLE 3.2 but will not display correctly on the iOS device.  The main menu won't scroll correctly and the sections often do not resize to the screen.

Courses seemed to work fine in MOODLE 3.1, but not sure if the problem is a MOODLE update issue or a recent iOS update issue.

Has anybody come across this or have a solution?

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Moodle and iOS
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 12 July 2017, 10:33 AM

Hi Richard

There are quite a few posts about this on the forum about this already if you have a quick search.

by Richard Hardwick - Wednesday, 12 July 2017, 12:38 PM

Hi

I did to a search, but there does not seem to be a definitive answer.

I assume the problem is something to do with iFrames, though it does happen in the google browser for iOS also.

- Is this a recent problem as the courses used to work?

- Is it to do with MOODLE or something in a recent iOS update?

- Is there a way to fix it?

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 12 July 2017, 2:29 PM

Chrome for iOS is essentially just Safari for iOS with a different user interface. Apple don't allow any other browser rendering engine other than the built-in webkit rendering engine to be added to iOS.

You didn't find a definitive answer in your search because this isn't really any one single solution - other than to amend Moodle to open the course in way that doesn't use iframes. That's what Totara (enterprise version of Moodle) does - it's called New Window (Simple) and works very well.There's some discussion around how that can be done here.

Unfortunately iOS-Safari's handling of iframes is just really poor, some of the problems with it are listed in this post (that whole thread is worth reading btw). Last time I checked there were 741 open issues mentioning 'iframe' on webkit.org - some have been kicking around since 2006 :-(

AFAIK it has been a problem since Moodle 2...

by Richard Hardwick - Thursday, 13 July 2017, 7:29 AM

Hi

Thank you for the reply, it makes the issue clearer,  I appreciate you taking the time.

We recently upgraded to MOODLE 3.2, which is when the issue seemed to get worse, prior to that ADAPT content did seem to work ok.  I was not sure if this was a particular issue since MOODLE 3.2 or if iOS had suddenly got worse due to a software update, either way it seemed to happen about 3 months ago...

I have tried a couple of the CSS suggestions mentioned in various forums, but that does not seem to make any difference.  I don't have access to the server to start changing code in MOODLE.

Unfortunately it seems the answer for our learners for the time being is not to use iOS devices for learning.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 13 July 2017, 8:28 AM

I have tried a couple of the CSS suggestions mentioned in various forums, but that does not seem to make any difference.  I don't have access to the server to start changing code in MOODLE.
Unfortunately it seems the answer for our learners for the time being is not to use iOS devices for learning.

Have you tried any of the suggestions in the thread I mentioned before?