Picture of Ted Curran
Using GitHub to track course creation in Adapt Framework
by Ted Curran - Friday, 14 July 2017, 5:39 PM

Hi all, 
Our team is using the Adapt Authoring package to build eLearning content, and I began to wonder what benefits there'd be in building our courses completely in plain text using the Adapt Framework CLI? I generally find that to be a faster way to work, cutting mousing and the GUI out of the equation so we can keep our hands on the keyboard and our eyes on teh codez

Does anyone use GitHub to track progress and provide version control on Adapt course source files and media assets? is that a thing? 

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Using GitHub to track course creation in Adapt Framework
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 14 July 2017, 8:17 PM

Hi Ted

Absolutely - the vast majority of the Adapt work we do here at Kineo is directly in the framework and tracked via version control - Subversion in our case since we find it's a lot easier for non-technical folks to deal with. We also find it's a lot easier when working with very media-rich projects - some of our projects can get into the region of 10 or 20GB (as high as 90GB in one case) with all the source files (PSDs and video) which is easier to deal with in Subversion as you can do 'sparse checkouts' to only get the bits of the project you need to work on - and don't need to keep the entire history of changes on your computer like you do with Git.

We also customise Adapt pretty heavily and it's a lot easier to do that when you're working directly with the framework.

Finally, we frequently build multiple courses from the same source - and as the Adapt Grunt task runner doesn't handle this we created our own task runner - RUB - to do so, it's well worth checking out if you're thinking about going down this route.

Let me know if you've got any other questions about this way of working and will do my best to answer them!

Picture of Ted Curran
Re: Using GitHub to track course creation in Adapt Framework
by Ted Curran - Friday, 14 July 2017, 9:28 PM

Thanks so much for your input, Matt. We are currently getting our small team geared up on Adapt, tackling a small-scale project from the Authoring Enviro right now. Meanwhile, we're looking down the road and thinking through what it would take to make it a viable authoring program for our larger learning projects, which need to be future-proof in many of the ways you're describing. It'll probably be a few months before we collect all the questions we'd ask, but I appreciate the help and will gladly stay in touch. 

Best, 

Ted