Picture of Adam Laird
Video Formats for compatability
by Adam Laird - Monday, 31 March 2014, 2:01 PM

Ok i'm not proud to ask this here but given up on googling as the solutions produce amatuerish results.

Anyone know the best way to convert the mp4 to vorbis/theora ogv or webm on OS X? to provide two versions of the video

Picture of Daryl Hedley
Re: Video Formats for compatability
by Daryl Hedley - Monday, 31 March 2014, 2:37 PM

Hey Adam,

I've used Miro and it works perfectly.

http://www.mirovideoconverter.com/

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Daryl

Picture of Adam Laird
by Adam Laird - Monday, 31 March 2014, 2:41 PM

Cheers Daryl.

Also just tried fireogg.org as i firefox plugin but prefer an app you can do mulitples in so will give miro a try (sure ive heard of miro before)

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 31 March 2014, 3:16 PM

No shame involved at all Adam, this took us a while to figure out too!

+1 for Miro, it's definitely the easiest and the most accurate tool for making ogv files from mp4/other

One other thing I've learned: it's quite hard to find out bitrate data for ogv files. The only method I've found that works is the one suggested here: https://superuser.com/questions/656474/how-do-i-check-the-video-bitrate-of-an-ogg-theora-ogv-video-file/656716#656716

Picture of Joseph Replin
by Joseph Replin - Tuesday, 1 April 2014, 5:15 PM

Daryl was already on top of this but I would like to add that I've used the VLC media player conversion software with success.

Only drawback with VLC is that I couldn't find any good method to batch convert mutliple videos to .ogv.

I'll be sure to check out Miro. Thanks!

Picture of Adam Laird
by Adam Laird - Wednesday, 2 April 2014, 8:06 AM

With regards miro it is a lot better than VLC especially for batch an go though has issue with latest version for OQV quality which can be solved by the below post taken from a lad named phil at the support.miroconverter site play around with the quality setting till you get what is desired

n this directory/Terminal:
cd /Applications/Miro Video Converter.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/mvc
Edited this file:
open -e basicconverters.py

After these lines:
class OggTheora(converter.FFmpegConverterInfo):
  media_type = 'format'
  extension = 'ogv'
I replaced:
  parameters = '-f ogg -vcodec libtheora -acodec libvorbis -aq 10'
With:
   parameters = '-f ogg -vcodec libtheora -c:v libtheora -c:a libvorbis -q:v 4'

Then ran python -m compileall .  in that directory in Terminal.app.

Then I quit and re-started the Miro Video Converter.app ... Now I get better quality OggTheora ...
(I actually also replaced ffmpeg in the Helpers dir with my own binary, but I don't think mattered, as I had the same problem until I changed the config.)

Picture of Chris Jones
by Chris Jones - Wednesday, 2 April 2014, 8:52 AM

If you are happy to give up your GUI, ffmpeg2theora http://v2v.cc/~j/ffmpeg2theora/download.html is a powerful little command line wrapper around ffmpeg and lets you configure the audio and video quality and many more settings.