Picture of J Perrin
Unable to install Adapt on local machine
by J Perrin - Monday, 31 March 2014, 4:21 PM

Hello,

I am attempting to install Adapt on my local machine, following the instructions at https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/wiki/Setting-up-your-development-environment.

However, when I use 'adapt create install', nothing gets created, and I get the following error:

Can't stat "Users\\jperrin\\.adapt\
\tmp\\50233e50-b8e7-11e3-b613-9343b13d4c4c\\adapt_framework-master\\.bowerrc": E
rror: ENOENT, stat 'C:\Users\jperrin\Documents\Adapt\Users\jperrin\.adapt\tmp\50
233e50-b8e7-11e3-b613-9343b13d4c4c\adapt_framework-master\.bowerrc'

I am trying this on a PC with Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) installed. (I have also attached the full CMD log to this post, for what it's worth)

Is there anything I'm missing?

Kind regards,
Joe Perrin

Picture of Chris Jones
Re: Unable to install Adapt on local machine
by Chris Jones - Tuesday, 1 April 2014, 8:17 AM

Hi Joe,

You'll need to configure your $HOME environment variable.

On Win 7 go System Properties > Advanced system settings > Environment variables  

Then add a new variable called HOME with the value 'C:\Users\jperrin\'

adapt-cli will use the variables HOME, HOMEPATH and finally USERPROFILE on Windows.

It seem like on some Windows systems the HOMEPATH omits the drive letter, causing the problem you experienced.

Picture of J Perrin
by J Perrin - Tuesday, 1 April 2014, 10:19 AM

Thanks for this; the problem is now resolved.

BS
by Bharat Sharma - Wednesday, 2 April 2014, 10:17 AM

Hello,

I hope someone can help me, i also got stuck in the installation of adapt framework on my local machine. 

This problem appeared at the end of the Installation, while installing adapt dependencies and i got error something "ext failed: getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND", please see the attached image for more details.

System details are:

Windows 7 64 bit

Just for your information

1. I have successfully installed adapt cli and grunt cli
  2. I have added $HOME variable in environment variables (HOME = C:\Users\Bharat.Sharma)
  3. I have also added git details in PATH variable

Please help me.

regards

Bharat Sharma

Picture of Chris Jones
by Chris Jones - Wednesday, 2 April 2014, 12:38 PM

Hello Bharat,

Can you access the Adapt Registry http://adapt-bower-repository.herokuapp.com/packages/ ?

getaddrinfo is related to DNS resolution, NOTFOUND would indicate that your system is unable to resolve the DNS entry.

Check your firewall/proxy settings if you have one.

Once you have confirmed that you can access the registry, you can run adapt install  in your directory to re-install the adapt dependencies.

BS
by Bharat Sharma - Wednesday, 2 April 2014, 1:15 PM

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your reply.

I am able to open the link "http://adapt-bower-repository.herokuapp.com/packages/" you gave me and it's returning me this JSON data.

[
  {
    "name": "adapt-slidingPuzzle",
    "url": "git://github.com/dennis-learningpool/adapt-slidingPuzzle.git",
    "hits": 8,
    "id": 35,
    "createdAt": "2014-03-10T10:26:22.000Z",
    "updatedAt": "2014-04-01T07:55:16.000Z"
  },
  {
    "name": "adapt-sequentialBoxMenu",
    "url": "git://github.com/SpongeUK/adapt-sequentialBoxMenu.git",
    "hits": 11,
    "id": 31,
    "createdAt": "2014-01-29T13:17:08.000Z",
    "updatedAt": "2014-04-01T07:55:16.000Z"
  },......... ]

Do you still think the issue is related to firewall/proxy settings?

I would be glad if you can suggest anything?

[edit]

I have just tried the exact link from error  "http://adapt-bower-repository.herokuapp.com/packages/adapt-contrib-text"

and its also working fine and show so JSON data - 

{
  "name": "adapt-contrib-text",
  "url": "git://github.com/darylhedley/adapt-contrib-text.git",
  "hits": 471,
  "id": 2,
  "createdAt": "2013-11-15T09:00:41.000Z",
  "updatedAt": "2014-04-02T13:13:50.000Z"
}

Picture of Chris Jones
by Chris Jones - Wednesday, 2 April 2014, 2:00 PM

If you have curl installed you could try accessing that url from your shell...

curl

Then try installing the dependencies again, also make sure you are Run As Administrator/sudo to ensure you have enough permissions.

BS
by Bharat Sharma - Thursday, 3 April 2014, 3:45 AM

Alright, i will try and update.

Thanks

BS
by Bharat Sharma - Thursday, 3 April 2014, 5:11 AM

Hello Chris,

curl is working fine, see:

As you suggested me to re-install dependencies, does it means to follow all steps? or is there any specific command of dependencies installation?

However i have tried to create course again at same location and i found same dependencies related error but this time error for this link "http://adapt-bower-repository.herokuapp.com/packages/adapt-contrib-blank". For you info i am able to open this link in browser.

bharat

BS
by Bharat Sharma - Friday, 4 April 2014, 4:20 AM

Hello,

Can i have suggestions/solutions for this issue related to installation, please help me! I really want to work with adapt. Or can you suggest me any other way to install adapt? I have also tried by downloading offline version from GIT but it is also not working because of missing files. see these screen grabs:

Bharat

BS
by Bharat Sharma - Friday, 4 April 2014, 5:15 AM

Hello everyone.

Now i have successfully installed adapt, yes Chris you were right it was something related IP and DNS settings. (because i have added two IP for my system) finally i figure out and now its working.

Thanks a lot for you responses.

Bharat

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Friday, 4 April 2014, 6:02 AM

Hey Bharat,

From the screen grabs you sent it looks like you haven't run '$ npm install'. Once you run this you'll see a node_modules folder. Then running '$ adapt install' will get your plugins from the registry. Then running '$ grunt build'.

Looks like you've got this running after all but we should extend the documentation to include these commands after downloaded the zipped version.

Hope you have fun with Adapt.

Thanks,

Daryl

BS
by Bharat Sharma - Friday, 4 April 2014, 8:02 AM

Hi Daryl,

Yeah! You're right.

The downloaded version needs to be updated by running these commands you suggested for missing files. I am wondering i didn't find these commands in documentation when i downloaded this from GIT so these should be added also.

I tried these commands to install zipped version as you suggested above and $npm install threw error, but i ignored error and i ran second command $adapt install, and executed successfully and finally i was able to run the course through grunt commands.

However i didn't understand why $npm install threw error, but i suspect, its may be due to i have already installed course through online procedure ($npm install adapt-cli -g and $npm install grunt-cli -g). see below the error:

Picture of Chris Jones
by Chris Jones - Wednesday, 9 April 2014, 8:27 AM

The test runner we include (karma) has dependency issue that is resolved in this issue on the develop branch. this should be fixed when this version gets released.

Picture of Kev Adsett
by Kev Adsett - Tuesday, 1 April 2014, 8:19 AM

Check the post here https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=177#p901, setting up your HOME environment variable should sort it out.

[EDIT] - Ah, Chris beat me to it :)

Picture of Adam Laird
by Adam Laird - Tuesday, 1 April 2014, 2:40 PM

pity you cant set up stickies in totara forums as this type deserves to be there

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 1 April 2014, 3:43 PM

Unless anyone has any objections, I'll add a 'Common Issues' wiki page to Github for things like this...

Picture of Mathew Gancarz
by Mathew Gancarz - Tuesday, 1 April 2014, 4:14 PM

I think that's a good idea. It might be useful also to link to it in the intro text for this forum, ie: on https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=4, underneath:

"This forum is the central place for all discussions in the Adapt Learning Community in English. Everyone is welcome to ask related questions, make suggestions and leave comments. We promise to respond quickly and will also use this forum to ask for your opinions and ideas."

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 2 April 2014, 11:29 AM

OK, page is set up here: https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/wiki/Common-Issues

Please feel free to add any issues that seem to be cropping up regularly.

I don't have the permissions to amend the forum intro text, but I'm sure either Sven or Daryl can do this.