Picture of Barry Jenkin
Mobile instruction
by Barry Jenkin - Friday, 11 August 2017, 2:52 AM

I've been using the Instruction field a lot in my components to guide users with the words 'select the items', 'select the right arrow', 'select the optional Managers tab', etc. The problem is that these instructions only apply to the full width desktop version of my theme.

When reduced to mobile, the instruction no longer applies - block sliders vertically stack and buttons disappear, content in optional tabs appear in full detail, etc. So I need to be fairly carefully generic and repetitive in how I instruct ('Read the following..') 

I've been craving an optional 2nd instruction field for mobile view (e.g. where screen width < 560px) where I can supply an alternative instruction with minor adjustments. Is this worth considering in a future release?

Picture of Barry Jenkin
Re: Mobile instruction
by Barry Jenkin - Friday, 11 August 2017, 3:17 AM

.. just realised this is available in the Narrative component. Would be awesome for this to be added to the Text component.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 11 August 2017, 8:52 AM

Why the Text component? I would have thought that was the one component that didn't need any instruction!

Your general point is a good one though, maybe mobileInstruction should be available on all components. I'd even argue this should become a core property - like title, displayTitle and body - so that's it's available in any component by default.

Picture of Barry Jenkin
by Barry Jenkin - Sunday, 13 August 2017, 1:44 AM

Cool - sounds good. How do I add this as a suggestion .. do i create an issue on the authoring tool github?

I've been making lots of use of the humble text component for where I need an overarching intro and instruction on a block slider underneath (otherwise I'm forced to rely on an instruction on the first component only which then disappears on sliding).

e.g. I might have "Watch the following video and select the tab to answer a quick question" where I have both video and mcq components in an ensuing block slider with tabs. This was the main instance I had in mind for the mobile instruction since tabs, arrows etc disappear on mobile.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 14 August 2017, 4:26 PM

How do I add this as a suggestion .. do i create an issue on the authoring tool github?

No, on the framework for this particular one https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/issues/new

I've been making lots of use of the humble text component for where I need an overarching intro and instruction on a block slider underneath

Ah OK yes I completely see what you mean. I think you could also use the article body and instruction to get the same effect... or you could if the article's instruction property was exposed via the authoring tool like it should be. I'll see about getting that fixed!!