Picture of Suresh Kumar
Customizing Quick navigation plugin
by Suresh Kumar - Thursday, 17 August 2017, 11:01 AM

I have developed a course with 6 topics using the Authoring tool. The sixth topic is the course assessment. I enabled the "locklast" menu lock type option so that the users will have to complete all the 5 topics and then get into the sixth topic, assessment. Page level progress plugin is enabled too. Everything works fine. In one of the topics (topic 5), there are close to 9 sections (blocks/articles) used. In this topic 5, there are interactions like tabs, hot-grid, narrative and a few questions (not assessment type though) components are used along with a few simple text components. Some of the end users who are new to Adapt design (deep-scrolling approach) find it a bit hard to understand what they missed visiting in the topic 5. Since the next topic is assessment, the Quick navigation plugin's next button on the topic 5 just reloading the same page, when the user missed something to visit on any of the interactions on topic 5 or missed visiting any other interactive elements. it would be helpful if we can have a validation on the Quick navigation plugin's next button event, which will show a message using a pop-up overlay on each page if the user tries to move forward without completing the topic page. Any suggestions how to work with this?

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Customizing Quick navigation plugin
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 17 August 2017, 11:46 AM

Hi Suresh

Did you know you can get quicknav to lock the next button until the page is completed? See the setting _isEnableNextOnCompletion.

Where we've needed to deal with users new to Adapt we've also make sure that we highlight pageLevelProgress as a mechanism for finding out what you have/haven't done on the page to users at the start of the course; you can also use trickle on the page to ensure users can only continue onto the next interactive component once they have completed the current one.

Hope this helps.

Picture of Suresh Kumar
Re: Customizing Quick navigation plugin
by Suresh Kumar - Friday, 1 September 2017, 7:19 AM

Thanks Matt!

I have enabled the quicknav's setting _isEnableNextOnCompletion. When I tested it, the next button does not allow to move forward, which is expected. Additionally, I was looking for a pop-up with a message mentioning what action the user has to take to complete the page.

I found this plugin: https://github.com/cgkineo/adapt-pageIncompletePrompt. This helps to show a message when the page is not completed, also allows the user to move forward based on their preference.