Picture of Hyderabad Sunrisers
Cannot create course (Sorry...undefined)
by Hyderabad Sunrisers - Thursday, 10 April 2014, 12:58 PM

Hi, I am very excited about the Adapt framework and thank you all for making this wonderful resource available to the public.

I have gone through the steps of installing Git (windows) and setting up the development environment, but I am a bit stuck when it comes to creating a course (adapt create course), and get the following message:"Downloading framework to my-adapt-course, Oh dear something went wrong. I'm terribly sorry. undefined"

I have read the forum and seen a few posts about this issue, and have also added a few entries to my Windows 8 Environment variables. My message is a bit different from what others are getting, it seems like.

I thought the best way to get support and to document the process I follow would be to get rid of Git and everything else I have installed completely, install everything from scratch, and document the steps I follow here in order to give you the most complete info I can. :)]

So here goes:

My OS: Windows 8

1) I download Github for Windows from https://windows.github.com/ and install

2) I log in to my Github account in the Github for WIndows app

3) Now I proceed to set up my development environment as per the documentation on Github "Setting up your development environment"

4) I download and install Node.js

5) Now the instructions tell me to do the following:

$ npm install adapt-cli -g

$npm install grunt-cli -g

I have noticed that Github placed a shortcut on my desktop to the GitShell

I open this and it open Windows Powershell at c:\users\me\documents\Github

I run the above two commands, each proceeds to load and save a long list of files 

6) Now instructions say "You can get the latest version of the framework from our GitHub repository using the Adapt Command Line Interface." 

$ adapt create course

I run the above from the open Powershell window and then get the following:

7) Now at this point I am thinking that maybe I used the wrong command line tool. I go into the Github for windows options and change the default shell to "Git Bash" but the results are exactly the same.

8) At this point I started looking on the forums here and realised that I may have to add something to my Environment variables.

I followed instructions here and add the following to my environment variables: (Path under System)

C:\Users\xxxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\GitHub\PortableGit_054f2e797ebafd44a30203088cd3d58663c627ef\cmd;C:\Users\xxxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\GitHub\PortableGit_054f2e797ebafd44a30203088cd3d58663c627ef\bin

9)I also added the following to User variables:

HOME C:\Users\xxxxxxxxxx\

10) But still getting the same error message :(

I am hoping someone can give me a push in the right direction. Please ask if there is any additional information that would make it easier to understand my problem!

Thanks again!

Picture of Zhuoran Huang
Re: Cannot create course (Sorry...undefined)
by Zhuoran Huang - Thursday, 10 April 2014, 2:16 PM

Hi Hyderabad,

When you install Git for Windows, you need to select the middle option "Using the Git command in Windows command prompt." I had the similar problem when I create the course, because i selected the first/default option when I installed the Git for Windows. I use Windows 7, by the way.

Picture of Chris Jones
by Chris Jones - Thursday, 10 April 2014, 3:05 PM

I agree, it looks like git may not be installed correctly in your PATH environment variable.

It can be a pain to install correctly on Windows but there are lots of really excellent guides like the one on GitHub, its pretty straightforward but it will get git installed in your PATH so everything works okay. 

EDIT: Just noticed that you have installed the native app, GitHub for Windows, this may not install everything you need. Make sure you have Git for Windows installed (aka msysgit)

by Hyderabad Sunrisers - Thursday, 10 April 2014, 10:35 PM

Hi Zhuoran and Chris,

Thanks for the help - I have managed to make quite a bit of progress :)

I first installed Git for windows (msysgit, not the github app) and then tried to create the course again, but I still got the same message.

Then I deleted all traces of Github for Windows, Node.js, and git and also removed all previously entered environment variables.

I then reinstalled Node.js and only installed msysgit, and not the Windows github app. I also installed grunt and adapt via the GitBash.

After this process, I was able to run 'adapt create course' and got no error messages :)

I then run 'grunt build' which also completes succesfully

I then create the local server like so: 'grunt server'

Now at this point I was kind of expecting grunt to open a new browser window in my default browser. But nothing happens.

When I manually browse to http://localhost:9001/ , I only see the message "cannot GET"

That is where I am now :) Any thoughts?

Thanks a million!

by Hyderabad Sunrisers - Thursday, 10 April 2014, 10:38 PM

STOP PRESS!!

I had an instance of xampp running on localhost, I stopped the server and tried grunt server again and boooom!

Dunno if that was the problem but that worked :)

Thanks again guys for the help and speedy replies, I am sure I will be back here soon with more questions ;)