Picture of Robert Drew Jeffrey
Installing adapt via node.js
by Robert Drew Jeffrey - Monday, 14 April 2014, 1:22 PM

Hello all,

Following the setting up development environment guide i have installed git and node.js.

Once iv opened node.js command line i enter the first command given in the guide:

$ npm install adapt-cli -g

but i just get three dots ''...'' and nothing happens, could some one enlighten me as to what im doing wrong?

Also i installed git and node.js to my D drive as opposed to the C drive.

Thanks in advance 

:)

Picture of Adam Laird
Re: Installing adapt via node.js
by Adam Laird - Tuesday, 15 April 2014, 8:00 AM

Have a search round here for posts about HOME variables, the answers are in there (sorry I'm on OSX so dont know the answer straight off)

Picture of Kev Adsett
by Kev Adsett - Tuesday, 15 April 2014, 8:58 AM

Check out the common issues wiki page - there may be something there that will help you out (regarding environment variables as Adam suggests).

Picture of Chris Jones
by Chris Jones - Tuesday, 15 April 2014, 9:26 AM

Hi Robert,

Can you install any node modules at all?

Try installing something like express.

If npm is not working I would suggest downloading and re-installing node.js again.

Picture of Robert Drew Jeffrey
by Robert Drew Jeffrey - Tuesday, 15 April 2014, 1:35 PM

ok thanks for the replys all :)

I see your entering the commands in the gitBash as opposed to the node.js command line which the guide refers to. Sadly nothing happens with i type it in to eather (well node.js does the standard three dots ...)

Il do the path variable again, they should add that to the guide though so people dont have to search for a solution.

Cheers :)

Tried adding the enviroment varibles again and reinstalling node.js still nothing,

So let me get this right, im ment to:

install node.js

install git (bash and gui)

open node.js

and type in ''$ npm install adapt-cli -g''

Correct? im pretty sure thats what the guide says

Edit2:, it works!

Redid the home varible, and typed it into the gitBash command line, guide should be updated so it says to do it in git as opposed to the node.js command line as its not clear.

Chers for help all, much appreciated :)

Picture of Chris Jones
by Chris Jones - Tuesday, 15 April 2014, 2:11 PM

Hi Robert,

npm is the package manager that comes with node.js so it should work just fine from git bash, powershell, command prompt or any other shell, but it won't work in the node.js REPL.

Glad its all working for you now.

C