Picture of Chris Blair
Pull earlier quiz/test answers into later exercise
by Chris Blair - Friday, 8 September 2017, 6:07 AM

I'm an experienced course author but it's all with other LMS systems like Moodle and LearnDash/Wordpress. I've also used Mohive, which is part of the CrossKnowlege LMS system and is their included authoring tool.

i'm working with a client whose course begins with a simple exercise where students label 5 images. They then progress through the course and at the end of it, they go back to the original exercise and answer whether they agree or disagree with their original labels.

So the client would like for the course to be able to pull the students' original labels/answers up for the final exercise so that they can then answer whether they still agree or disagree with those labels. Obviously each student's answers will run the gamut since it's an open-ended exercise. Seems like this should be possible since the answers should be in the database (right?).

My question is whether it's possible in Adapt Authoring using its built-in tools? If not, is it possible with custom coding? If that's not possible, any suggestions from more experienced Adapt users for options.

If you're wondering why I'm using Adapt, it's because the client uses CrossKnowledge...and for most courses their authoring tool (Mohive) works fine although it has limited design options. I've installed Adapt and have it running well on an Amazon instance, but before I get too far into learning it I wanted to see if something like I describe is possible.

Thanks

It looks like a great tool compared to all the ones I've tested (and I've tested a bunch, including Captivate and Articulate).

Chris Blair
VP/Creative Dir.
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
www.videomi.com

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Pull earlier quiz/test answers into later exercise
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 8 September 2017, 7:34 PM

Hi Chris

I'm not aware of any existing component that does exactly this - but certainly I can say it is possible with some custom coding. If you have a look at the confidenceSlider component, that does something similar i.e. allows the user to view the answer they gave from another instance of the component they completed earlier in the course.

Really nice to hear you're liking Adapt, by the way!

Picture of Chris Blair
by Chris Blair - Friday, 8 September 2017, 8:43 PM

I will give it a look! Thanks…and figured it should be something that is possible through some coding. I’m more of a designer than a coder although I do my fair share of hacking around. Will update what I find in a couple weeks. Chris Blair

Picture of Ignacio Cinalli
by Ignacio Cinalli - Sunday, 10 September 2017, 12:17 AM

Hi Chris,
I developed a little extension (adapt-questionLinked) to get student's previous answers.
It works with mcq and gmcq components.
Maybe you can try using the plugin and build your own logic.
I attached the file to this post.
Hope this helps.

Picture of Chris Blair
by Chris Blair - Sunday, 10 September 2017, 3:14 AM

Hey thanks! I don't know what mcq or gmcq components are though! :)...can you elaborate a little? Nice to see how active this community is!!

Chris Blair

by Ignacio Cinalli - Sunday, 10 September 2017, 3:59 AM

I'm referring to Multiple Choice Question and Graphical Multiple Choice Question.

I don't know what is a simple exercise where students label 5 images :)

Picture of Chris Blair
by Chris Blair - Sunday, 10 September 2017, 4:57 AM

Ahhh!! Ok..sorry I don't know all the lingo! Much appreciated.

Chris Blair

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Monday, 18 September 2017, 4:00 PM

Ignacio - have you an example of how question linked works? I have had a play in the authoring tool but can't seem to decide what it is used for and how?

by Ignacio Cinalli - Monday, 18 September 2017, 7:32 PM

Hi Helen,

1. Add 2 MCQ components: E.g. MCQ 1 and MCQ 2
  2. Then, use the extension in MCQ 2.
  3. Copy MCQ 1 Id to clipboard.
  4. Paste the ID in MCQ 2 > Extensions > Question Linked > Link ID

You can find an example in the attached zip.