Picture of Kevin Raspin
'Unable to load resource' Error when trying to load .mp4 videos
by Kevin Raspin - Monday, 9 October 2017, 11:29 AM

Hi All,

I am currently running a course through CITRIX Receiver, the course itself runs ok, but when I tried to load a .mp4 video, it's giving the error message 'unable to load resource'.

Has anyone seen this before and know how to fix it/get around it?

I have no such issues (in Citrix receiver) running .mp4 videos in courses I've output from Articulate Storyline.

Thanks in advance!

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: 'Unable to load resource' Error when trying to load .mp4 videos
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 9 October 2017, 12:12 PM

Hi Kevin

I have no such issues (in Citrix receiver) running .mp4 videos in courses I've output from Articulate Storyline.

Storyline content is Flash-based when run on a desktop browser, so it's using a Flash-based video player rather than the browser's built-in HTML5 video player that Adapt uses.

There are a whole range of issues as to why HTML5 video isn't working, not an easy thing to debug I'm afraid. First thing I'd do is check the that MP4 mime-type is correct defined on the server the content's running from.

It could also be the Citrix/network setup that's blocking it - I've run into that before too. Same video file but trying to load it as HTML5 video was blocked, loading it as Flash-based video no problem.

Flash-based video has been around a LOT longer than HTML5 video so you often find it works when the other doesn't.

Seeing as you know that using a Flash-based video player works fine then you can force Adapt to use Flash-based video by default by changing this to "none". It will still use HTML5 video on operating systems that don't support/have Flash installed, I guess the question is just whether it works OK there or not?

Picture of Kevin Raspin
by Kevin Raspin - Thursday, 12 October 2017, 9:55 AM

Hi Matt, thanks so much for the quick response.

We force flash based video and the issue no longer exists, must be a HTML5 video and Citrix issue.

The course is now working which is the main thing.

Many thanks!

Kev 

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 12 October 2017, 10:38 AM

that's no problem at all, glad I could help.