Picture of James Reynolds
Unable to complete WIN10 Installation of the Authoring Tool
by James Reynolds - Sunday, 29 October 2017, 7:11 AM

Hello,

I receive the following error when performing the 'node install' command for a Windows 10 implementation. All pre-requisites have been downloaded and installed and the MongoDB service is running.

Found an existing config.json file. Do you want to use the values in this file during install?

> Use existing config values? y/N (N) n

This script will install the application.

Would you like to continue?

> Continue? Y/n (Y) y

We need to configure the tool before install.

Tip: just press ENTER to accept the default value in brackets.

> Server port (5000)

> Server name (localhost)

> Database host (localhost)

> Master database name (adapt-tenant-master)

> Database server port (27017)

> Data directory path (data)

> Session secret (value used when saving session cookie data) (your-session-secret)

> Git repository URL to be used for the authoring tool source code (https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring.git)

> Git repository URL to be used for the framework source code (https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework.git)

> Specific git revision to be used for the framework. Accepts any valid revision type (e.g. branch/tag/commit) (tags/v2.2.2)

> Are you using ffmpeg? y/N (N) y

> Will you be using an SMTP server? (used for sending emails) y/N (N)

Now we need to configure the master tenant.

Tip: just press ENTER to accept the default value in brackets.

> Set a unique name for your tenant (master) adapt

> Set the display name for your tenant (Master) adapt01

Tenant 'adapt' already exists. It must be deleted for install to continue.

> Continue? (Y/n) (Y) y

ERROR: fatal: Too many arguments.

usage: git clone [<options>] [--] <repo> [<dir>]

-v, --verbose         be more verbose

-q, --quiet           be more quiet

--progress            force progress reporting

-n, --no-checkout     don't create a checkout

--bare                create a bare repository

--mirror              create a mirror repository (implies bare)

-l, --local           to clone from a local repository

--no-hardlinks        don't use local hardlinks, always copy

-s, --shared          setup as shared repository

--recurse-submodules[=<pathspec>]

initialize submodules in the clone

-j, --jobs <n>        number of submodules cloned in parallel

--template <template-directory>

directory from which templates will be used

--reference <repo>    reference repository

--reference-if-able <repo>

reference repository

--dissociate          use --reference only while cloning

-o, --origin <name>   use <name> instead of 'origin' to track upstream

-b, --branch <branch>

checkout <branch> instead of the remote's HEAD

-u, --upload-pack <path>

path to git-upload-pack on the remote

--depth <depth>       create a shallow clone of that depth

--shallow-since <time>

create a shallow clone since a specific time

--shallow-exclude <revision>

deepen history of shallow clone, excluding rev

--single-branch       clone only one branch, HEAD or --branch

--no-tags             don't clone any tags, and make later fetches not to follow them

--shallow-submodules  any cloned submodules will be shallow

--separate-git-dir <gitdir>

separate git dir from working tree

-c, --config <key=value>

set config inside the new repository

-4, --ipv4            use IPv4 addresses only

-6, --ipv6            use IPv6 addresses only

Failed to create master tenant. Please check the console output.

Picture of Cameron Holmes
Re: Unable to complete WIN10 Installation of the Authoring Tool
by Cameron Holmes - Saturday, 18 November 2017, 10:39 PM

I got to the exact same point in my Windows 10 installation, as well. Not sure where to go from this juncture after being that close to completed. Has to be some minor detail.

Picture of Pablo Niveiro
by Pablo Niveiro - Sunday, 19 November 2017, 7:25 AM

One week in this point!!. If anybody can help us ...thanks!!

Picture of Paul Hilton
by Paul Hilton - Sunday, 19 November 2017, 8:50 AM

I’m sorry I can’t help with window installation, if you really need to get cracking you might want to try a trial  one of the authoring tool developers.

We have one https://canstudios.com/adapt . You can sign up to right away for a free trial and export later if you want to move provider. Or you can check the other collaborators Listed on this site.

Hope this helps,

Paul.

by Cameron Holmes - Sunday, 19 November 2017, 12:05 PM

I'm piloting a project for an agency with around 12,000 people with diverse training needs. I've shown proof of concept with an authoring tool installation on Linux, but they are going to give me grief about that, so I'm trying to do the same installation on Windows 10. Like others, I have everything in place.

I have the following in place:

Git-Bash installed, and have used it where required.
git version 2.15.0.windows.1
node v6.11.5
npm -v 4.0.5
grunt-cli v1.2.0
ffmpeg version N-89073-gff8f40a630
Downloaded Community Server > Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit and later, with SSL support x64:
mongodb-win32-x86_64-2008plus-ssl-3.4.10-signed
MongoDB is up and running according to Task Manager, and I make sure it's running when running "node install"

Used: git clone https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring.git

Now, that said... In addition to the node install errors, there were warnings with "npm install":
npm WARN mongodb-core@1.2.21 requires a peer of kerberos@~0.0 but none was installed.
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: weak@1.0.1 (node_modules\weak):
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: weak@1.0.1 install: `node-gyp rebuild`
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Exit status 1

"Exit status 1" is pretty broad from what I've read. Could this be a "33" issue that needs the "hotmix" fix? I haven't got that error message "33" per se. 

This has to be really close. It seems as though the authoring tool can't find something it's expecting. 

Getting a Windows box running is imperative. Perhaps Windows 10 is too big a step from Linux? Windows 7 instead? Don't know. Any help or referral would be appreciated. 

--Thanks in advance.

by Cameron Holmes - Sunday, 19 November 2017, 1:05 PM

This is what I get when I go ahead and launch "node server":

C:\Program Files\adapt_authoring>node server
(node:4488) fs: re-evaluating native module sources is not supported. If you are using the graceful-fs module, please update it to a more recent version.
info: [19 Nov 2017 06:44:16 -06:00] configuration loaded from C:\Program Files\adapt_authoring\conf\config.json
info: [19 Nov 2017 06:44:17 -06:00] Supporting the following authentication types:
info: [19 Nov 2017 06:44:17 -06:00] - local
error: [19 Nov 2017 06:44:17 -06:00] Check for updates failed, Cannot determine framework version
Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open 'C:\Program Files\adapt_authoring\temp\adapt_framework\package.json'
info: [19 Nov 2017 06:44:18 -06:00] Connection established: adapt-tenant-master
warn: [19 Nov 2017 06:44:19 -06:00] - Tenant Admin doesn't exist, cannot update
warn: [19 Nov 2017 06:44:19 -06:00] - Authenticated User doesn't exist, cannot update
warn: [19 Nov 2017 06:44:19 -06:00] - Course Creator doesn't exist, cannot update
warn: [19 Nov 2017 06:44:19 -06:00] - Product Manager doesn't exist, cannot update
warn: [19 Nov 2017 06:44:19 -06:00] - Super Admin doesn't exist, cannot update

I think this is pretty telling: "no such file or directory" - package.json

Could this all come down to file paths? I mean, WHERE do most people have "adapt_authoring" installed (I have in my program files, and where do most people have their "data" directory for MongoDB installed (I have it at "c:\data" for example. In Linux it's a given, but in Windows it get a bit... creative, so to speak. 

My config.json doesn't look right. I don't think it's finding the Mongoose data directory:

{
"outputPlugin": "adapt",
"dbType": "mongoose",
"auth": "local",
"root": "C:\\Program Files\\adapt_authoring",
"serverPort": 5000,
"serverName": "localhost",
"dbHost": "localhost",
"dbName": "adapt-tenant-master",
"dbPort": 27017,
"dataRoot": "data",
"sessionSecret": "your-session-secret",
"authoringToolRepository": "https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring.git",
"frameworkRepository": "https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework.git",
"frameworkRevision": "tags/v2.2.3"
}

--ch

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 20 November 2017, 11:32 AM

If you just want to use it on Win10 then maybe Fabio's standalone version of the authoring tool is the answer? It's not running the very latest version of the authoring tool yet but I'm sure if enough of us ask him really nicely he might update it?

"I've shown proof of concept with an authoring tool installation on Linux, but they are going to give me grief about that"

That's an odd attitude, what's the problem with that?

by Cameron Holmes - Monday, 20 November 2017, 5:29 PM

Hi. Alas, it's literally a one-hundred-year-old agency that is Windows-based. I was told that they could swing giving me Admin rights to do the project, but Linux wouldn't be accepted. At the end of the day (see my addition to that thread) I was able to get the AT installed on a Windows 7 and the Win10 box in question. Good practice since I'll have to do it again when I get the agency box. 

People are excited about the prospect of getting some training on their phones and iPads, though. I've already tested the SCORM in the LMS, and after only minor editing of an offending tag, I was able to get to a "completed" status in PeopleSoft, which isn't that great of an LMS IMHO.

Thanks for asking. I'll be around asking MORE questions in the not-so-distant future. ;-)

--ch

Re: Unable to complete WIN10 Installation of the Authoring Tool [resolution]
by Cameron Holmes - Monday, 20 November 2017, 5:20 PM

Hello. Long story short on this: After doing a successful install on Windows 7, during which I documented quite closely what I was doing, I came to the conclusion that the issue was the location of the "adapt_authoring" folder; rather than being under the directory "Program Files" it should be at the root level (C:\adapt_authoring).

As at least one other person suggested, this is probably due to the space in "C:\Program Files". 

So I deleted the folder, and cloned a new one while in an Admin Cmd window at the "C:\" level.

Despite a few (minor, I guess) warnings, the rest of the install went smoothly after that.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. I also have rather verbose text notes that are probably more than you need or want, but I'll find them useful in the future since I will have to do another install for my sanctioned computer at work.

--ch

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 20 November 2017, 7:06 PM

Also in Win10 the two sets of Program Files folders have restricted permissions so it could be down to that as well...

by Cameron Holmes - Tuesday, 21 November 2017, 3:35 PM

Hello!

Since Mongoose is in there, and I set up and ran everything from the Admin Terminal, I would think that permissions would not be an issue; an application should be able to talk to another worker application at that level--but I'm just guessing. I know Windows on a need-to-know-basis. At the end of the day, I'm interested in authoring tools that empower the educator to empower the learner, if you will. ;-)

I do think this warrants a note in the documentation. If I found the issue, and someone else did as well, that means that there are probably others who found it, but didn't follow-up with a query, because they thought that this might be more time-consuming than they had hoped. It's a good feeling to get the AT up and running, and it's best to get the community to that point ASAP.

Incidentally, initially I tried the standalone package on the same Win10 computer, but it didn't work for me, and I saw that someone else with Win10 couldn't get it to launch either. So, I figured the odds of configuring everything myself and having it work on Linux were probably quite good. I also have to have the flexibility to make changes at will, so it made sense to pursue the full install with the agency project in mind. Eventually, I'd love to see a dedicated server that we could access from anywhere; the irony is that in such an instance, I would probably relinquish all control to contracted IT workers who would have to figure it out all over again. ;-)

At any rate, I'm lucky to have multiple computers at my disposal. I haven't tried the install on my Mac yet, but I've always found OSX easier to work with than Windows. 

To reiterate, I do think this issue and suggestions for its resolution are worth a mention in the documentation. Most of us aren't experts, but fall more closely into the category of Jack of All Trades. I used to do Perl scripting for another agency, and the Perl community's approach is something like "You only need to know as much about Perl as you need to get the job done." I try to combine that approach with "Just do it," which has served me well when up against bureaucracies. ;-)

Ciao! --dk

Picture of Trieu Truong
by Trieu Truong - Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 7:34 AM

This should be marked as Correct Answer (really)! 

I cloned the project to E:/ drive and struggled with the error during the past few days.

I think Adapt Authoring documentation for installing (https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring/wiki/Developer's-Install#2-clone-the-adapt_authoring-project) should be updated to include this so simple yet significant step.

Are you aware of a similar recommended install location for macOS?

Thanks for your post, @Cameron!