Aniket Dharia
Regarding audio in standard components
by Aniket Dharia - Monday, 28 April 2014, 1:57 PM

Hi All - 

Just wanted to know if you would like to have a feature to add audio to the standard components like accordion where each tab will have separate audio file. Let me know.

Regards,

Aniket

Picture of Bjorn Kvalvik
Re: Regarding audio in standard components
by Bjorn Kvalvik - Monday, 28 April 2014, 5:09 PM

Hey Aniket,

Short answer, yes! That would be an awesome feature.

Best,

Bjorn

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Tuesday, 29 April 2014, 6:13 AM

Hey Aniket,

It's a great idea! Just as a heads up - I helped build an extension to place an audio icon on every component a couple of weeks ago. I'll try dig it out and see if it's been registered. 

Currently it just supports one audio file per component. It doesn't support individual items in the accordion like you mentioned.

Thanks,

Daryl

Aniket Dharia
by Aniket Dharia - Tuesday, 29 April 2014, 6:22 AM

Hi Daryl - 

We had checked the media component it does not allow us to add audios, we made minor changes to all the templates so that each interaction(click/tap) can have in-built audio file.

Let me know the updates on the component above.

Cheers!

Aniket

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Tuesday, 29 April 2014, 9:17 AM

Hey Aniket,

I wasn't referencing the media component but instead Kineo have developed an audio extension that enables audio to be attached to components without adjust the templates. It's important to remember as default the components won't have audio built in - but instead can have extensions built on top of them to enable audio.

The approach you suggested would be great as an extension instead of affecting the components.

Hope this makes sense and I'll find out about the audio extension.

We're hoping to have a lot more documentation on developing extensions in the next release as we've been concentrating more on component development. But extensions can have a lot more power than components.

Thanks,

Daryl

Picture of Dan Gray
by Dan Gray - Tuesday, 29 April 2014, 9:58 AM

That sounds like a great approach. This is one of the most requested features from our instructional designers and would be really popular I think.

How does the extension deal with activating/controlling the audio, particularly on mobile devices?

Thanks

Dan

Aniket Dharia
by Aniket Dharia - Monday, 12 May 2014, 10:37 AM

Hey Daryl - 

We built the extension for audio, but are facing few problems and have few queries mentioned below.

Problems - 

1. When a audio is playing cannot stop it if I click on some other component without audio.
  2. When a audio is playing if we scroll down the audio should stop as the focus is lost on that component.

Queries - 

1. Should we build a single extension instead of different extensions for different components as it will help solve problem number 1?
  2. Will there be a scroll update, in-view and out-of-view events be handled by the framework in the near future? This might help solve the second problem?

CrediPoint has edited few components like accordion, hotgraphic etc to add the feature of audio in individual components without the use of extensions - 

Accordion - https://github.com/CrediPointSolutions/adapt-accordionWithAudio

Hot Graphic - https://github.com/CrediPointSolutions/adapt-hotgraphicWithAudio

Do let me know your thoughts on the above points and bugs in the two components.

Cheers! 

Aniket