Picture of Antonia Newey
Register Users
by Antonia Newey - Thursday, 30 November 2017, 1:34 PM

Hi everybody,

I've been looking through the plugins looking for a way to allow users to 'register' for a course, to create a username and password that they can later use to log in. Such a thing doesn't seem exist in the plugin browser at the moment, but I was wondering if anything like this is in development? I have an LRS connected to my course at the moment, and I do have some different users, but they are only different because I manually changed the name via the xAPI channel handler.

If not, I might attempt it though I don't really know how. I've used databases and php with SQLite for such a thing on a website before, but I'm not sure how to integrate it in the framework. From research it looks like I would need to make another API, but I haven't done that before. Does anyone have any advice they could give me?

Kind Regards,

Antonia

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Register Users
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 30 November 2017, 2:24 PM

Hi Antonia

You won't find anything like this in the plugin browser because this is something that is typically handled by whatever the course is launched from.

In the vast majority of e-learning courses this is a Learning Management System that supports tracking via SCORM 1.2 (most common), SCORM 2004 or AICC.

With that sort of setup it's all pretty straightforward since SCORM really only works if you launch the course from the same server. In AICC your content can reside on a different server (though not easy to do) but the user will still have to login to the LMS and which is then responsible for launching the course and passing it an 'endpoint' (and security token) for tracking calls.

With xAPI, your content can be anywhere so does present the problem of how you authenticate the user.

There isn't really any one solution to this problem to be honest, it all depends on your setup. Some LRSs do provide a login option; there's also a technology called CMI5 (which is built on top of xAPI) which I believe addresses this problem.

Picture of Antonia Newey
by Antonia Newey - Friday, 1 December 2017, 9:06 AM

Hi Matt,

Okay, thank you for this! I'll look into a bit more.

Kind Regards,

Antonia

Picture of Fabio Beoni
by Fabio Beoni - Friday, 1 December 2017, 12:58 PM

Hi Antonia,

if I understand well, you are publishing your courses outside a Learning Management System (LMS, like Moodle). 

If you want, an easy option would be to open a free account on MoodleCloud.com and upload your courses there. There are some "quota" limits for free accounts, but you may have a look.

Alternatively, if you are publishing your course in a normal web site (let's say a WordPress web site or a total static one done in HTML) you may consider the option to use a social authentication (google facebook, so on) before providing them the courses.

Cheers, Fabio.