Picture of Fabio Beoni
SCORM/xAPI, manual work required?
by Fabio Beoni - Saturday, 2 December 2017, 2:03 PM

Hello guys,

I read the docs of the plugins available to enable SCORM or xAPI tracking, but it is not clear to me if there is any manual work involved.

I mean, working only with the Adapt Builder do I need to manually edit exported course files to make them play with SCORM or xAPI?

Thanks every one.

Fabio

Picture of John Niezen
Re: SCORM/xAPI, manual work required?
by John Niezen - Saturday, 2 December 2017, 2:52 PM

Hi Fabio, if you use the Spoor extension and enable it, it should work on a course. Afik, xAPI is not stable yet, but look at the tracking hub extension for more details.

Our team has implemented Spoor on all our courses and have them uploaded in a Moodle LMS.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Saturday, 2 December 2017, 7:52 PM

As John says, the spoor extension is pretty easy to work with. It supports SCORM 1.2 'out of the box'; if you need to use SCORM 2004 then you do need to do a bit of manual work - see the documentation for the _scormVersion setting in the README.

For my sins, I'm kind of the SCORM expert on the project so feel free to send any questions you have my way and I'll answer when I have a spare moment (hah!)

xAPI, on the other hand, is very much a 'work in progress' - I'm not sure how well it works with the Adapt Authoring Tool (Builder)... but if you're working with the Framework it should be usable but will take a fair bit more fiddling I should think. We've certainly done a couple of projects with it. There's a chat room dedicated to it here.

Picture of Fabio Beoni
by Fabio Beoni - Monday, 4 December 2017, 9:50 AM

OK guys, I got it. 

At this point, I think I will wait before playing with xAPI. Actually to me it sounds pretty similar to mobile app tracking, something like G Analytics + custom event + custom dimensions tracking (do you know it?)... So nothing really new. But I could be wrong, since I have read only couple of documents about xAPI.

Thanks a-lot, cheers.

Fabio.