Picture of Henrik Aabom
Spoor fails to parse titles
by Henrik Aabom - Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 1:31 PM

Hello

We have experienced an issue with the Spoor extension.

When I run the “grunt build” command it fires the error:

Warning: Error while processing "C:/Users/hta/Downloads/persondataforordningen-dk-export-2017-12-05-122139/build/imsmanifest.xml" file. Use --force to continue.

This is with Adapt Framework version 2.2.3 with a course exported from the AT.

I’ve look into the imsmanifest.xml-file in the build folder and can see that it still says “<![CDATA[@@course.title]]>” at some places (see pasted code below).

The version number of Spoor is 2.1.3.

Any ideas on how to fix this, would be neat!

<general>

<title>

<langstring xml:lang="x-none"><![CDATA[@@course.title]]></langstring>

</title>

<description>

<langstring xml:lang="x-none"><![CDATA[@@course.description]]></langstring>

</description>

</general>

</lom>

</metadata>

<organizations default="adapt_scorm">

<organization identifier="adapt_scorm">

<title><![CDATA[@@course.title]]></title>

<item identifier="item_1" isvisible="true" identifierref="res1">

<title><![CDATA[@@course.title]]></title>

<!-- <adlcp:masteryscore>70</adlcp:masteryscore> -->

</item>

</organization>

</organizations>

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Spoor fails to parse titles
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 2:40 PM

I would first check you have title and description properties set up in your course.json - as it's trying to replace the values in the manifest file with the data from course.json. Although it looks from this as if it should gracefully handle a missing description.

If you are just using the framework directly you could just modify src\extensions\adapt-contrib-spoor\required\imsmanifest.xml to remove @@course.title and @@course.description and instead put in your own values.

In my experience, most learning management systems don't seem to do anything with the <metadata> part of the manifest file so you could just set both entries in there to the course title....

Picture of Cameron Holmes
by Cameron Holmes - Wednesday, 6 December 2017, 5:00 AM

I'm not sure if I totally understand the context here, but Matt, you previously had noted in one of your other posts (a belated Thank You by the way) that CDATA was often an offender, since it's used for accepting accents in a non-English title. Our LMS, PeopleSoft, rejected this with an error message about not having a title, and getting rid of that tag and replacing that entire string with a literal of the title took care of the issue.  I came to that resolution from examining the manifest file of a SCORM package that had no "errors" in PeopleSoft. - CH

Picture of Henrik Aabom
by Henrik Aabom - Wednesday, 6 December 2017, 7:09 AM

Hi again

Thank you for your responses.

The scenario is this: We have been creating a course for months (maybe even for the past year) and it is getting fairly large (315 components), and we’ve been updating it continuously, always making sure that the framework and AT had been updated to the newest version.

Yesterday I made an update to the menu and an extension in the course and pressed the preview button, but got this error:

So, I tried exporting the source code, but got this error:

Then I tried changing the menu to boxmenu and removed the extension that I just updated, but with same results.

Then I tried removing all extensions from the course, but still nothing changed.

We then tried deleting the build-folder on the server-side and restarted the server, and then I was able to preview and export source code, and everything seemed fine. But the exported course had the error mentioned above, with the imsmanifest.xml file.

And to make everything even worse, this morning, the preview and export code errors are back…

In the course I actually got exported yesterday, I have tried to remove the spoor extension completely run a grunt build command, which, as expected, removed the imsmanifest.xml file error.

I then downloaded a fresh spoor-package from github and implemented it, using the example.json code inside the course.json, but then the imsmanifest.xml was back.

The “title” property of the course.json is filled out and the description is empty, but filling in the description do not solve the problem.

If we were just using the framework directly, I properly could just replace the @@course.title and @@course.description, but we are using the AT, and the main issue, is that it won’t preview or export source code, and this error in the Spoor extension is the only lead I have at the moment as to what might be wrong.

Any ideas?

Picture of Henrik Aabom
by Henrik Aabom - Tuesday, 12 December 2017, 10:31 AM

Hi

A possible new lead in this case has surfaced.

On the AT serve, when the folder with the tenant id inside the “course”-folder (/root/adapt_authoring/temp/5655a38a86279c5b04a454d5/adapt_framework/courses/5655a38a86279c5b04a454d5) is empty, we are NOT able to export source code. It throws this error:

“Internal Server Error:

Command failed: grunt server-build:prod --outputdir=courses/5655a38a86279c5b04a454d5/59ba69edb27b798504c3d189/build --theme=58ddecc6b27b798504c3b40d --menu=adapt-tdc-videoMenu”

But, if we generate a preview first, so that the “tenant id”-folder is no longer empty, then we are able to export source code.

If we then choose a new theme, through the theme-picker, we are no longer able to generate a preview. Even if we choose the same theme as is already on the course. It throws this error:

“Error generating preview, please contact an administrator.”

And the export source code fails again as well, and throws the same error as before.

This is very strange behaviour and any guidance will be very well received!