Picture of Dick Moore
Adapt working with grunt server but not when deployed
by Dick Moore - Wednesday, 30 April 2014, 7:40 PM

Hey

Still in week on of Adapt and having loving it.

I have just hit a wall and need some help on how to debug my course.

I have my prototypic course constructed and it was all going well, 

Today I came to build and deploy and the build and local server version all look cool but when deployed only the front screen renders.

My build process is

$ rm -rf ./build

$grunt build

$grunt server

The course pops into the browser and works fine

zip  -r mycourse.zip ./build

Looking in the zip file we have all the files

When I deploy it to the webrowser and select index the front page appears hit a course object then I get the spinning?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Picture of Daryl Hedley
Re: Adapt working with grunt server but not when deployed
by Daryl Hedley - Thursday, 1 May 2014, 8:08 AM

Hey Dick,

Glad you're enjoying building with Adapt and thanks for the posts through the community. One quick question - why do you run the command "$ rm -rf ./build". If this is to remove the build folder to rebuild - you don't need to do this. The grunt task does this for you. (If you don't know about "$ grunt dev" - I would strongly suggest using this for development).

As your course is a prototype would you mind sending me the files? I know the course could have personal content or company content but it's a lot easier to debug. Or even sending me the link to where you are hosting it? You can send this to my Kineo email if you like by clicking on my profile.

Normally we get a loading screen without content loading because of images not being fetched from the server. Adapt has a built in cache system that waits until the images are loaded before showing the page. So if the images are not loaded you receive the "White Screen of Patience".

Try checking the link/url reference to your images are working. Sometimes different cases work on a node server but when transferring them to another server can cause issues.

Thanks,

Daryl

Picture of Dick Moore
by Dick Moore - Thursday, 1 May 2014, 9:23 AM

Daryl

More than happy to send you a link to the files, I am using a public dropbox folder to host as well as a standard server.  I don't think its the server or the browser as I have tried several. :(

I am doing the rm -rf build because I found that the build folder contained old videos that we are not using and that had been removed from the src directory.  I guess I could just remove the video and images directories but its easier and safer to just remove and rebuild at this stage I thought.

What does grunt dev" - I do exactly and can I read about it.

The images look to be working fine.

Thanks for the support guys.

Dick

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Thursday, 1 May 2014, 11:04 AM

Hey Dick,

Whilst developing you should use '$ grunt dev' as it gives you source mapping. In a future release it will also run '$ grunt watch' directly after building. So any changes will run a 'grunt dev' and compile with source mapping. Source mapping it's easier to debug your JS code.

I've had a look over your files and the url to the images you've put in the components.json seem to cause a 404 error. I would suggest removing the '/' from the beginning of the url. If this doesn't work then extend your url to be an absolute path. This might be a problem with Dropbox.

Thanks,

Daryl

Picture of Chris Jones
by Chris Jones - Thursday, 1 May 2014, 8:16 AM

Hello Dick,

First thing to check is that your webserver or LMS is configured to serve all types of file used in Adapt; the usual culprit is .json files. Systems running on IIS and Apache may require you to add application/json 

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 1 May 2014, 8:44 AM

If your browser is the dreaded Internet Explorer then it might be dropping into some sort of compatibility mode. Press F12 and ensure the document mode matches the actual version you're using and doesn't say anything like 'quirks mode'.

Picture of Dick Moore
by Dick Moore - Thursday, 1 May 2014, 9:25 AM

Chris

Thanks for that I will check but it was working earlier in the day but no longer.  I try to stay away from IE as much as possible.  The servers I am trying it on include apache lighttpd and dropbox public web folders which can act as a simple webserver 

D