Picture of Trieu Truong
Issue using Spoor (SCORM 2004) with course created in Authoring Tool
by Trieu Truong - Thursday, 11 January 2018, 1:51 AM

Hi all,

I am a beginner with Adapt framework, it's a very good framework with lots of work in it.

I am working on enabling SCORM 2004 with adapt-contrib-spoor as Spoor uses 1.2 by default. I've successfully configured SCORM 2004 for my course by help from this discussion (https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1625). Scorm object has SCORM.data.get('cmi.suspend_data')  value when reloading the course. The course is created using adapt command (adapt create course myCourse).E.g.: SCORM.data.get('cmi.suspend_data') value: {"lang":"en","a11y":false,"completion":"11111110000000000000000","questions":"","_isCourseComplete":false,"_isAssessmentPassed":false}

However I got an issue that getting suspend_data is incorrect for courses created from the Authoring Tool (v0.4.0). Saving data is fine as the Completion status is complete, just getting is behaving a bit strange: when launching a completed course, getting data returned only SCORM.data.get('cmi.suspend_data') value: {"lang":"en"}.

I tried the same _spoor setting for both scenarios:

"_spoor": {
"_isEnabled": true,
"_reporting": {
"_resetStatusOnLanguageChange": false,
"_onAssessmentFailure": "incomplete",
"_onTrackingCriteriaMet": "completed"
},
"_tracking": {
"_shouldRecordInteractions": true,
"_shouldStoreResponses": true,
"_shouldSubmitScore": true,
"_requireAssessmentPassed": false,
"_requireCourseCompleted": true
},
"_advancedSettings": {
"_scormVersion": "2004",
"_commitOnVisibilityChangeHidden": true,
"_suppressErrors": false,
"_commitRetryDelay": 2000,
"_maxCommitRetries": 5,
"_timedCommitFrequency": 10,
"_commitOnStatusChange": true,
"_showDebugWindow": false
}
}

Am I missing any step? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Picture of Trieu Truong
Re: Issue using Spoor (SCORM 2004) with course created in Authoring Tool
by Trieu Truong - Thursday, 11 January 2018, 3:01 AM

My mistake, I had adapt-contrib-spoor v2.1.4 (master) download and install manually to the Authoring Tool with a modified bower to skip the version warning of requiring Adapt framework 3.0. The issue was gone when installing the correct version of Spoor v2.0.0 for the Authoring Tool v0.4.0 - Adapt framework 2.2.3.

As there has been many updates to adapt-contrib-spoor after v2.0.0 (Aug 2015), will we have a plan to upgrade it in Authoring Tool's extensions any time in a near future?

Picture of Trieu Truong
by Trieu Truong - Thursday, 11 January 2018, 8:35 AM

Sorry for those who received so many emails.

The issue still persists when I updated my adapt-contrib-spoor to v2.1.3 (framework dependency is >=2.0.16). I also tried to run it with the new AT version (v0.4.1-rc.1).

I understand SCORM 2004 is not officially supported with adapt-contrib-spoor. It actually works with course created by Adapt CLI (framework v3.0).

Has anyone successfully configured SCORM 2004 to work with courses created in the Authoring Tool before? If yes, please tell me where I should look at?

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 11 January 2018, 10:00 AM

Hi Trieu

You can't configure the spoor plugin to use SCORM 2004 in the authoring tool; this is deliberate choice on the part of the Adapt team.

That decision was made for two reasons. Firstly - as you know - Adapt doesn't officially support SCORM 2004. Secondly, and more importantly, it's because you need to use different packaging files when publishing for SCORM 2004 and there's currently no mechanism in the authoring tool that allows you to swap these out in a user-friendly manner.

If, however, you will always publish to SCORM 2004 from your authoring tool then you can just create your own copy of the spoor plugin that allows for this. You would need to:

1. Amend properties.schema to allow for _scormVersion to be set via the authoring tool
  2. Put the correct packaging files into the required folder
  3. Change the version number in bower.json (so that the authoring tool will let you install your version)

If you need to be able to publish as both SCORM 1.2 and SCORM 2004 then your only option is to modify the files every time you publish the course.

Picture of Trieu Truong
by Trieu Truong - Tuesday, 16 January 2018, 5:37 AM

Hi Matt,

Yea, we only wanted to use SCORM 2004 for the course so I've created a copy of the plugin with _scormVersion "2004" in configureAdvancedSettings() & replaced the imsmanifest.xml in 'required' folder. Finally, everything works now on both the Authoring Tool and courses created by the framework.

For Scorm Cloud, it turns out that when the course is completed (completion_status = 'completed') and the exit type value is set to 'normal' or '', the LMS would return an empty suspend_data causing the course to start fresh and not to use previous runtime data. This is set by cmi.exit (SCORM 2004) or cmi.core.exit (SCORM 1.2) from terminate() method in the API. So we will go with the way it is now.

Thanks much for your help. I really appreciate it!