Software Development Manager
Adapt Learning SCORM Package in Moodle Does Not Scroll on ipad 1
by Charles Teague - Wednesday, 14 May 2014, 6:27 PM

Hi,

Thank you so much for beginning the Adapt Learning Authoring tool.  You have made great progress in such a short time.

I authored a SCORM Package using Adapt Learning and loaded it into a Moodle LMS, but the article page in the SCORM Package, html-5-test.zip, will not scroll on ipad 1.  Here are the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Load the attached SCORM package into a Moodle LMS course.

2. Enroll a student in the course.

3. Login as the student enrolled in the course from an ipad 1.

4. Launch the SCORM package.

5. Click view.

Results: You only see the beginning of the chapter.

Expected Results: Able to view all verses from 1 to 31.

Regards,

Charlie Teague

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Adapt Learning SCORM Package in Moodle Does Not Scroll on ipad 1
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 15 May 2014, 9:11 AM

Hi Charlie

If I load your content onto Totara LMS v2.5 (which is based on Moodle) I get the same result on iPhone 4 running iOS7.

More tellingly, the content is NOT snapping down to the mobile view but staying in the desktop layout. So clearly something in the way Moodle/Totara renders the content in the window is blocking the responsive functionality of Adapt... very likely it's because the content is being rendered inside an <iframe> which is an inherently un-responsive element.

If I load it into SCORM Cloud, it all works fine.

I think what you're seeing here is a common issue with trying to run content that implements responsive design techniques on Learning Management Systems that are rendering the content in the window in a way that is not particularly friendly to responsive design*.

The workaround we have been using on Moodle/Totara up to now is to set the LMS the package to load in the same window, but add a new page to the SCO called launch.html that handles opening up index.html up in its own popup window - so you're essentially 'breaking out' of the Moodle SCORM player template.

I have updated your package with the launcher file and attached it here.

This is by no means an ideal solution and I will continue to explore options with my colleagues in the Totara world for how we can fix this properly, maybe even backporting the fix into Moodle - you never know.

By the way - there is another bug in your package... Once you get through to the content page you can't get back to the menu again, just a blank screen.

*This is by no means the worst. SABA LMS renders the content inside a frameset. Seriously, a frameset in this day and age? I think the last time I used a frameset in my code was in the previous millennium!

me
Re: Adapt Learning SCORM Package in Moodle Does Not Scroll on ipad 1
by Sven Laux - Thursday, 15 May 2014, 10:01 AM

Hi Charlie, hi Matt,

thanks for raising and answering this.

There is a previous discussion, which outlines the specific set-up steps here.

As Matt says, this is an issue specific to Moodle and Totara and would apply to any type of responsive e-learning package and we have fed this back to the core Totara team.

Thanks,
Sven