Picture of Isabel Jordan
Preinstallation Phase - Mongo DB
by Isabel Jordan - Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 11:10 AM

Hi guys, 

I have been following the instructions for the Learning Tool. Without any knowledge of command lines I managed to get until Mongo DB. I installed the programme and now I don't know what is needed. If I have to somehow create a database, I will simply have to find another eLearning tool, as this definately requires too much computer knowledge. The manual  doesn't help at all as it is confusing if I have to install also the community edition and the atlas. 
Maybe I am getting somehing wrong here, but the video  is definately completely misleading, as not "anyone" can use this tool. I can work with copy/paste instructions, but those stop when going to the Mongo db manual. 

I've seen a from 2016 where it seemed much easier with vagrant, why is that not possible anymore? 

Anyhow, a short answer whether or not I should just simply look for a different tool would be great. 

Best,

emc

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Preinstallation Phase - Mongo DB
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 12:01 PM

Hi Isabel

If you're struggling to set it up for yourself you could:

• Try community member Fabio's 'standalone' version (currently Windows-only though)
  • Pay for hosted version of the authoring tool from one of the several companies who offer this
  • Use the Adapt Framework instead as it's a lot easier to set up. Yes, you will have to enter your content directly into JSON files but that's really not as hard as it sounds.

As I understand it, the Vagrant version of the authoring tool required a LOT of time for the community to maintain properly.

Picture of Isabel Jordan
by Isabel Jordan - Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 1:41 PM

Hi, 

thank you so much for your answer and the tip, I will try it out. Do I have to deinstall first what I already had (node, grunt, ffpmn and github) or does it not really matter? I just want to make sure my PC is not cracking down. 

Best wishes, 

Isabel 

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 3:20 PM

MongoDB is the only thing you might want to get rid of, the rest won't do anything unless you're actively using them - except take up some disk space.

Picture of Isabel Jordan
cooperating with other users?
by Isabel Jordan - Tuesday, 27 February 2018, 10:03 AM

Dear Matt,

it would be great if you could answer one more question.

Will I, using the standalone version, be able to share my project with someone also using the standalone version?

That would be critical for me.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Isabel