Picture of Chris Gillison
Locking parts of a course dependent on user selected role
by Chris Gillison - Monday, 5 February 2018, 5:45 PM

Hi all,

I have a client who would like, if at all possible, a single course whose content is tailored to a user-selected job role. For example, if User1 selected JobRole1, they would do Pages 1,2,3 & then the final assessment. If User2 selected JobRole2 they would do pages 1,4,5 then the assessment. Pages not relevant to the selected job role would be locked. Ideally I'd want to use QuickNav too, which would mean that when User1 got to the end of Page 3 & clicked 'Next' the course would skip Pages 4 & 5 and go straight to the assessment.

To add another layer to this, the job role the user selected would need to be stored in the LMS so wuld be retrieved by the course for returning users.

Is any of this possible in any way? This is a long shot, but I've not needed/used the multi-language feature yet, and was wondering whether this might be a solution (i.e. the language would stay in English, but the actual content would change depending which language (read 'job role') they selected.

I appreciate that building two separate courses would be an easy way to get round all this but they really would rather everything was in one course.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Many thaks in advance.

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Locking parts of a course dependent on user selected role
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 5 February 2018, 6:37 PM

Certainly it's all possible though there's a bit of work involved and you would definitely need to be comfortable with JavaScript and modifying Adapt - if that's OK (and you're working in the Framework rather than the authoring tool) I might be able to give you some pointers from how we implemented a basic role selector. Is the assessment different dependent on role though?

Your idea of (mis-)using the the language selector to do this might actually be a good workaround! Obviously it does mean a bit of duplicated content but doesn't sound like there'd be too much in this instance...

by Chris Gillison - Tuesday, 6 February 2018, 9:46 AM

So that sounds positive. Thanks Matt.

Yes, some questions wil be role specific. I was thinking I could use banks for that, but it's now occurred to me that the assessment won't know what job role the user has selected without extra code, which perhaps was the reason you asked! To add yet another layer of complexity, certain questions for each role are 'must ask', and those questions differ from role to role.

Javascript-wise, I can read it and mostly figure out what's doing what, such that I've cribbed functions from components and re-used them elsewhere, but I'm certainly not at the level of writing my own components. Happy to give it a shot but I'm also happy to look at 'repurposing' the language selector and duplicate content if you think that's probably best as a first stab (given this extra 'must ask' functionality).

Cheers

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 6 February 2018, 10:23 AM

I would recommend you give the language selector route a try first, having the assessment change what questions are presented dependent on role is not a trivial thing to do!

by Chris Gillison - Tuesday, 6 February 2018, 11:37 AM

Thanks Matt. Probably very wise :P