Picture of Chris Gillison
How to set device widths
by Chris Gillison - Wednesday, 7 February 2018, 12:18 PM

Hi all,

I simply can't get 'device-widths' to work! I want to set device widths as follows - large: 1200px, medium: 760px, small: 520px. I have added the following code in my vanilla theme generic.less:

@device-width-small: 520px;
@device-width-medium: 760px;
@device-width-large: 1200px;

If I add a graphic component and specify a different image for "small", it appears at 760px, not 520px. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Chris

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: How to set device widths
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 7 February 2018, 12:56 PM

I think you may have to set the sizes elsewhere too, I forget exactly which place (theming isn't something I get involved with) but the settings also show up in theme.json and also config.json (although I think maybe the values from theme.json are 'injected' here??)

by Chris Gillison - Wednesday, 7 February 2018, 6:25 PM

Hi Matt,

Actually, it looks like the correct device size is being set. If I size the browser window in the inspector, at 760px the html class "size-large" becomes "size-medium" (then "small" at 520px).

It seems to be the graphic component that's not behaving like I want. So, I added  data-medium="{{_graphic.medium}}"   to this line in the .hbs file, and included a "medium" version of my image in my component, so now all image versions are showing up in the up in the HTML (data-large, data-medium, data-small). But I'm still getting the "small" image at 760px browser window.

Is there something that needs doing to the resizeImage() function in adapt-contrib-grapic.js?

Currently it reads:
var imageWidth = width === 'medium' ? 'small' : width;
var imageSrc = (this.model.get('_graphic')) ? this.model.get('_graphic')[imageWidth] : '';

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 7 February 2018, 8:19 PM

Ah yes, the graphic component only supports 'small' and 'large' images out of the box, so just comment out/delete this line and you should be good to go.

by Chris Gillison - Thursday, 8 February 2018, 4:52 PM

Hi Matt,

I greyed that line out and now I'm just getting the Loading icon.

It looks like the first 3 lines of that function are interdependent (imageWidth is used in the next line so I guess that's why it's breaking). Any change you could take another look?

Thanks for your support. Much appreciated.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 8 February 2018, 5:43 PM

whoops my bad! Keep line 56 commented out and change line 57 to:

var imageSrc = (this.model.get('_graphic')) ? this.model.get('_graphic')[width] : '';

by Chris Gillison - Friday, 9 February 2018, 4:10 PM

Perfect! Thanks Matt.