Picture of Clark Starr
General Questions
by Clark Starr - Friday, 16 May 2014, 5:10 PM

Hi all, I hope this is the appropriate venue for these. I'm an instructional designer for a relatively large training company, so these are from that perspective.

1) I'm curious if there's a plan (or even thought being given) for how large teams might use Adapt. With Lectora et al, when we have multiple authors working in multiple modules, it can be painful to manage global changes. As each author is basically working with a local, independent instance of their module. These tools, being Powerpoint at heart, are not really "templatized" in a useful way. If, for instance, late in the game, a graphic that lives in multiple places needs to change, it needs to be changed everywhere. Obvious issues ensue. 

2) Is there any plan to integrate a review/feedback function that would allow people looking at a course while it is in development to provide feedback that's linked to a specific part of the course (I don't want to use the word "page"!), that perhaps can be tagged to some categories, and gets rolled up in a feedback database of some sort? My company has a homegrown version of such a tool and it is amazingly useful. While it can work with some off-the-shelf tools, it gets a little wonky from time to time.

Anyways, again, I hope this was the right place to ask. This initiative is very exciting. The current state of eLearning tools is not.

me
Re: General Questions
by Sven Laux - Monday, 19 May 2014, 9:44 AM

Hi Clark,

thanks for your post - and yes, this is the right place for any questions, comments etc. Please keep them coming.

To answer your questions:

We are planning to build a collaborative, web-based authoring tool for use with small and large teams alike. Given that the collaborators are all involved in the commercial creation of e-learning courses, we are very aware of the issues of a large and potentially distributed team working together and also of giving clients early insights and the ability to review and comment. We see collaboration as one of the key requirements of the authoring tool.

We're also mindful of making the management (and replacement) of assets as simple and powerful as possible by building in a central asset management area, where the usage of assets can be seen and where assets can be replaced and changes applied to all courses that use the assets in question.

At the moment, we're still focused on getting out an initial release. Our v0.1 will be a 'skeleton tool' and will still require developer skills to work with. Once this is out, we'll then be on a trajectory to deliver version 1.0, which will be aimed at a non-technical audience.

At this point, we are aiming for the collaboration-type requirements for release 1.0, classed as 'should' under the 'Reviewer' type user. You can see a complete breakdown here.

Hope this answers your question - please feel free to feed in any thoughts and thanks for your encouragement!

Sven

PS: our somewhat raw authoring tool concept document may be another useful place to get an overview