Picture of Nick Eastham
Adapt course won't load
by Nick Eastham - Thursday, 22 May 2014, 2:42 PM

Hi,

I can't get an Adapt course to run on a local drive or from an http address in any browser other than Firefox.

I've installed and built a default instance of Adapt, I've even tried removing the SCORM functionality with '$ adapt uninstall contrib-spoor' in case this was causing it to fail. The course will run in other browsers if I upload it , including the SCORM functionality, to SCORM Cloud. Anywhere else I simply get the loading anim continually spinning.

Am I missing something obvious here? Is there a browser setting I need to change, or something that needs to be supported or configured?

Thanks,

Nick

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Adapt course won't load
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 22 May 2014, 3:41 PM

Hi Nick

Since it works on other servers, perhaps its down to whatever web server you're using not having the json mime-type set up (as Chris Jones mentions here)

Strange that it still works in Firefox though

Does it work if you run via $grunt server?

Picture of Nick Eastham
by Nick Eastham - Friday, 23 May 2014, 8:29 AM

Hi Matt,

I wondered about MIME types too, but since it behaves in the same way on my local C drive (doesn't work in Chrome or IE, does work in Firefox) I discounted it. I'll check the server all the same.

It does work fine with Grunt server. Do I need to be running it from a server or should I be able to simply launch from the index.html file on a local drive?

It's not just my PC that behaves like this either.

Nick

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Friday, 23 May 2014, 9:15 AM

Hey Nick,

We do fetch requests to JSON files so you'll always need to run Adapt from a server. Firefox allows cross browser scripting and this is why JSON files are loaded in. This is why we've included a node server by running $ grunt server

Thanks,

Daryl

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 23 May 2014, 9:19 AM

You can make IE run local content by selecting 'Allow active content to run in files on My Computer' in Internet Options > Advanced > Security. I never worked out how to get Chrome to do this though (not that I've tried very hard).

If I switch off that setting, or load the content locally in Chrome, I get the same results as you.

If if you can get it to run locally, I would still always run it from a server (which is why - as Daryl points out - Adapt includes $grunt server).

Even when you can get it working locally, the different security permissions and behaviours that browsers apply to content run via the file:// protocol means that you could get very different behaviour to that of the content running from a server.

Hope this helps!