Lisette Ligtendag
pin point video commenting
by Lisette Ligtendag - Sunday, 22 June 2014, 6:04 PM

For teacher training feedback on how teachers do their job after observation in the classroom works best. Second best is perhaps vicarious learning: seeing others doing the job and learn by feedback given to them (a kind of second hand learning).  A great learning tool would be looking at videos of performances from (un)known colleagues and reading  in the video (or listening to) the feedback given by a counsellor or an other colleague. Or better still…. like in the sporting branches….giving your own feedback by annotating the videos of others or of yourself. A great example I saw is edubreak. They describe it as : a pinpoint video comment system. http://www.ghostthinker.de/en/products/edubreak. See for a clarifying example http://gutelehre.wordpress.com/tag/edubreak/. (in German couldn’t find something like it in English but I think what you see speaks for its self).

Would something like this be a desirable feature for adapt in the future?

Paul Welch
Re: pin point video commenting
by Paul Welch - Monday, 23 June 2014, 5:47 PM

Hi Lisette,

Thanks very much for posting. I think we could provide a learning experience close to what you have described by combining components and extensions in a particular sequence.

For example:

1)      Learner watches a video showing a performance of a colleague for review

2)      Learner uses slider component to rate the overall performance against stated criteria and then provides some justification for their rating via an open input question component (this is free text entry component in development and will be available soon)

3)      Once the learner has made their rating and added their thoughts to the open input they can unlock the next block where they watch an second video that provides expert analysis which the learner can compare against their own assessment of the performance.

4)      Finally, the learner's responses from the open input question (Point 2 above)  are redisplayed and are now available for comparison against a model answer (in this instance the model answer could be a summary of the key points made by the expert in the second video.

It’s quite simple approach but could be an effective way of meeting the needs of the this particular audience using Adapt’s ‘out of the box’ functionality.

In terms of the functionality shown in links you provided, they are beyond what is available at present, but I can see that they are an great tool for learning, particularly for the example you outline in your original post. Our challenge would be how we delivered a similar experience over a smartphone (as you probably know a key part of our mission statement is ensuring content works across multiple devices). That said, there’s no reason why we can’t give it some thought if the community felt it was something we should invest time in.

Be great to hear what you think about whether what I outline would work or whether it’s too elementary, etc.

Thanks,

Paul

Picture of Nicola Bamford
by Nicola Bamford - Friday, 27 June 2014, 1:21 PM

I can definitely see the value in learning experience this would provide, and can appreciate some of the technical challenges.

My first thought would be that having a watch video/see comment/reply to comment set up on smartphone would make things a bit overcrowded. So if we were to explore this for Adapt, what about if the smartphone version allowed the user to add comments but not see others? I know it's a bit restrictive as we lose a key value for smartphone users.

Anyway, I've done some rough mock ups (from a technical dunce) which show you how I'd see it working if we had add/view/reply to comment on smartphone.

Would love to hear thoughts. Not sure it's that Adapt-ish at the moment!

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 27 June 2014, 2:29 PM

Hi Nicola

Unfortunately I think most of this is unachievable on iPhones as video (in a web page) always launches in a separate media player app.

You might be able to do something really crazy like render the video in <canvas>...

by Nicola Bamford - Friday, 27 June 2014, 3:05 PM

Hi Matt

Thanks for pointing that out.

I've only really used canvas to for some basic free-drawing. 

Do you mean draw in the video and 'draw' comments on top of it...? (Does <canvas> have a drawMedia element?)

Smartphone wise, how well does <canvas> work on the mobile devices in Adapt's tech spec?  

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 27 June 2014, 3:38 PM

I have a suspicion it's the kind of thing that is going to be very browser-dependent indeed. This sounds like something for Daryl to answer I think...

Picture of Mark Andrews
by Mark Andrews - Monday, 30 June 2014, 8:36 AM

Hello all,

This might be totally irrelevant but I think you might be able to build something using Mozilla's http://popcornjs.org/

I've used it for a view interactive video type examples and for basic chaptering of videos but you could use it to power a commenting system. However, it don't think it would solve the issue with displaying on devices like iphone for reasons outline above. But works great on ipads and other tablets

All the best

Mark

by Nicola Bamford - Tuesday, 1 July 2014, 10:33 AM

Thanks Mark. I'll look into it.

Yes it looks like a commenting system that works on mobile devices may be over-ambitious at the moment, which is a shame.