Picture of Tom Taylor
Have your say on the future of the authoring tool app architecture!
by Tom Taylor - Monday, 12 March 2018, 8:44 PM

Hello!

Over the next few months we're going to be putting a lot of work into transforming the authoring tool behind the scenes to allow us to push forward with the next bunch of major releases we have planned (which you can view on the roadmap here).

To kick things off, I'm starting to put together a proposal document outlining the changes we're going to make, and I'd like to open up the floor to any web developers with experience modifying the tool who may have suggestions on the direction we should go in the future. This could be in the form of specific responses to my doc, new requests for how you'd like things done, or any observations in between -- all suggestions are welcome. I'd also like to hear from developers who intentionally haven't got involved for some reason, and why.

Some areas to think about:

• What works well
  • What is more difficult to do than it should be
  • Is there anything you'd like to do but can't with the current architecture
  • Any existing code projects doing something particularly well (from an architecture point of view) that you think we could take inspiration from

You can view (and add comments to) the my proposal document here: Link to Google doc.

Also feel free to reply to this thread, and I'll collate all feedback.

Cheers,
Tom!

Picture of Fabio Beoni
Re: Have your say on the future of the authoring tool app architecture!
by Fabio Beoni - Wednesday, 14 March 2018, 8:05 AM

Hi Tom,

nice idea to share the document here in the forum. I think Adapt can get the best from the knowledge of everyone here.

I had a look to the document again after our chat, and let me thank you for the inclusion of my proposal about the modularization pattern. I have a project where I applied it, I will share some samples code with the forum in coming days.

Do you think might be handy to have a specific chat channel on Gitter about the node server rewrite?

Thanks again, cheers.

Fabio.

Picture of Tom Taylor
Re: Have your say on the future of the authoring tool app architecture!
by Tom Taylor - Wednesday, 14 March 2018, 11:13 AM

Hi Fabio, 

Thanks again for your feedback! Good idea about the gitter room, have set this up here:
https://gitter.im/adaptlearning/server-refactor