Picture of Watersedge B
User progress
by Watersedge B - Wednesday, 25 April 2018, 12:26 PM

Hello, 

I have not yet had to deal with the issue of tracking using Adapt. This particular client wants to be sure that learners can't skip the course and the course only to be marked as complete when'each element has been accessed and all activities attempted.'  

Is this possible? I think not. I've enabled Spoor. What else can I do?

Thanks

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: User progress
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 25 April 2018, 2:32 PM

Well, Adapt can be configured to mark the course as completed only once the user has:

• completed all mandatory content
  • passed the assessment(s)
  • both the above

How exactly you set that depends on whether you're using Adapt v3.x or an earlier version. In Adapt v3 it's here; in earlier versions it's here.

In terms of strategies for ensuring the user knows what they have to complete, you have:

I'm probably missing others, but that's a pretty good starting list...

In addition, some components have different 'completion criteria' e.g. media can be set to complete once the:

• component has been shown on screen
  • user has initiated playback (probably the most commonly used)
  • video has reached the end

Of course, all this really does is ensure the user has interacted with everything, it doesn't ensure they've actually taken anything in ;-) That can only really be resolved by good learning design techniques.

hope this helps!

Picture of Watersedge B
by Watersedge B - Wednesday, 25 April 2018, 2:55 PM

THis is so helpful, thanks Matthew. Brilliant!

In terms of the learner knowing what they've completed, would you suggest using ALL those strategies? 

Thanks

Picture of Watersedge B
by Watersedge B - Wednesday, 25 April 2018, 3:09 PM

Ps - Matthew - how do i find out what version I'm using?

Picture of Watersedge B
by Watersedge B - Wednesday, 25 April 2018, 3:18 PM

Sorry Matthew, I'm posting as I go through your reply. 

I've looked at how you configure Adapt so content is mandatory etc. There's no one at my client who could do that sort of configuring...that's not my area either. I'm guessing it's possibly better to go for strategies as posted below that...?

Sorry if I'm appearing obtuse! I know my way around Adapt well, but this is a new one on me. 

Thanks

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 25 April 2018, 4:10 PM

Strategies vary enormously, depending on factors like client requirements, the preferences of the e-learning designer and on the users' level experience with Adapt-style e-learning i.e. if they are used to using your more traditional 'click next' screen-by-screen e-learning we might use trickle more to guide them down the page, making sure they don't miss any key interactions before continuing on down.

equally we often use trickle in assessments to ensure that each question is answered before the user can move onto the next one.

I would say that we use page level progress and page incomplete prompt on nearly every (multi-page*) course.

You should definitely mark as 'optional' any components that aren't key to the learning. typically 'decorative' graphics and suchlike. You'll also want to set these to not appear in page level progress.

Use of step-locking seems to be guided mostly by what the client wants, though quite often we'll use it to prevent the user from accessing the assessment until they have completed everything else. we tend to prefer to work without it as it's kind of annoying for development/testing and can be considered a bit proscriptive to the learner.

All content is mandatory in Adapt by default. if you want to mark content as 'optional' you add "_isOptional": true to the JSON for that component.

You can check what version of Adapt you are using by looking in package.json

In addition, Adapt v3 has a 'build' property in the course that you can use to determine what version of the framework and plugins were used to build the course, more info here.

* page incomplete prompt only kicks in when you navigate away from the current page so obviously is no use in a single page course. Close extension would be useful alternative in such instances

Picture of Watersedge B
by Watersedge B - Wednesday, 25 April 2018, 5:10 PM

Matthew, you are a star - I can't thank you enough. 

I'll come back with any questions.

Thanks so much

Jo

Picture of Watersedge B
by Watersedge B - Thursday, 26 April 2018, 3:06 PM

Hi Matthew, 

Thanks again for your help. Unfortunately, I can't seem to work out exactly what to do. Could you please help me a bit further? I'd be very grateful. The client has no technical support.

2) I use the page level progress extension anyway - and have always done for Adapt modules - but how do I make the learner more aware of it? Is there a way? It feels like a 'subtle' extension

3) How do I find and use the page incomplete prompt? I've scrolled through extensions and settings, and I see everything enabled but how do i know it tells the learner? The client says she managed to get through chunks of the module without notification.

4) I * think * I've worked out Trickle so I can at least show them...

Thanks again 

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 26 April 2018, 4:04 PM

Before I answer, can I just check - are you using the Adapt Authoring Tool or working directly with the Adapt Framework?

Picture of Watersedge B
by Watersedge B - Thursday, 26 April 2018, 5:28 PM

Adapt Builder/authoring tool

Picture of Watersedge B
by Watersedge B - Thursday, 26 April 2018, 7:58 PM

Oh no! I think I've posted on the wrong forum...?

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 26 April 2018, 11:06 PM

No - we do have a separate chat room for authoring tool stuff but in this forum questions about either are fine.

2) Yes the page level progress is a bit subtle, the easiest way to introduce it would be to have a start page in your course that does a quick 'how to use the course' overview.

3) you can get the page incomplete prompt extension from here by clicking the green 'clone or download' button then 'download ZIP'. installation instructions are here

Picture of Watersedge B
by Watersedge B - Friday, 27 April 2018, 8:08 AM

Matthew, you are so helpful. I can't thank you enough.

Have a lovely weekend.

Best