Picture of Aaron Collier
External content
by Aaron Collier - Tuesday, 15 May 2018, 12:33 PM

Hi,

I was considering using the framework for building courses. If I already have content for the courses organized and accessible in a content hub as JSON via an API, would it make sense to try to use this to build/replace the JSON files in the framework? The content hub would provide a central place for contributors to add content to the courses that could then be loaded and displayed via the framework. Does this seem workable? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Picture of Aaron Collier
Re: External content
by Aaron Collier - Friday, 18 May 2018, 1:48 PM

If anyone's curious, it does seem to be workable so far. I just needed to separate out the fetching of the collections and parse each one separately so they'd have the right format.

Picture of Simon Date
by Simon Date - Friday, 18 May 2018, 3:38 PM

Hi Aaron,

What do you mean by content hub? Like some kind of version control software?

This is a solution that is used by several teams using Adapt. Course creators can download the project and make changes and push it back upstream so that course creators can work too.

Picture of Aaron Collier
by Aaron Collier - Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 7:58 AM

Hi Simon,

Sorry I wasn't clear. It's storage for the content itself. It helps people not used to working with Git and JSON files to be able to enter clean structured data and to be able to reuse the same content in various courses and places. It's another way to abstract content from presentation.

Picture of Simon Date
by Simon Date - Thursday, 24 May 2018, 9:58 AM

Hi Aaron,

Wouldn't the Authoring Tool be better here. Sure it doesn't have the ability to reuse Components across pages/courses but it has the UI that non-techy types can use. I'm sure that future versions of the AT will have this functionality.

Picture of Aaron Collier
by Aaron Collier - Friday, 25 May 2018, 8:15 AM

Hi Simon,

I can understand that as a perspective. The ability to reuse Components was one of the top reasons we started looking to make a change. But if the Authoring Tool starts supporting reuse, we can definitely come back to that decision in the future. The UI we have for entering content might not be as initially intuitive as the Authoring Tool (because it separates everything to make it reusable), but once people understand it they're able to work with it effectively.

Picture of Simon Date
by Simon Date - Friday, 25 May 2018, 8:47 AM

I think the Authoring Tool is probably still a while away.

So you've created this interface already. Is it just a web app that allows for the reading, editing and saving of JSON data? Sounds pretty cool!

Picture of Aaron Collier
by Aaron Collier - Tuesday, 19 June 2018, 1:24 PM

Sorry for the delayed response. I'd forgotten there was a question in there. Yes, we're using our headless CMS to create a model of data that exports it as JSON through an API. We can then parse it to make sure it matches what the framework is expecting. We can create relationships inside the CMS that show which content should be included in which courses. That's the theory, anyway.