Picture of Bill Randall
iOS 11 and Totara
by Bill Randall - Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 3:54 PM

Hi,

Since installing iOS 11.3 on my iPhone 6, I can't open ADAPT courses (even v3) in Totara LMS.  We've used the usual methods for getting around iframes etc. but I'm just getting the 'Course cannot connect to the LMS' message.  Everything was fine until iOS 11.3, so I'm wondering if anyone has insight on a bug there???

All of my ADAPT courses still work fine in SCORM Cloud with iOS 11.3 by the way...

Thanks!

Bill

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: iOS 11 and Totara
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 5:13 PM

Hi Bill

I don't know quite at what version of iOS this started occurring but I have noticed an annoying bug that's certainly present in iOS  v11.3.x (iPhone only) where, if the SCORM debugger that Moodle/Totara has is enabled, I can't – initially - get it to launch the course at all.

When happens is that Safari prompts you to allow the debugger window to open - but then if you switch back to the main window to get the other prompt (which annoyingly you have to do now since Apple changed the way the allow/block prompts appear) my iPhone just doesn't show it; my iPad, however, does!

If you then leave the debugger window open then try reloading the other page, the course window opens fine and loads no problem – presumably because with the course debugger window already open it only needs to display one allow/block prompt this time.

I've just tried a few Adapt courses on Totara and - when the SCORM debugger is switched off - I haven't had any issues and certainly haven't seen any 'could not connect to LMS' issues - though I am using a relatively old version of Totara (2.9.12)

One thing I have noticed in the past is that occasionally when you use the 'click here to launch this course manually' link (rather than the Enter button) you get a 'could not connect to LMS' error... I think the last time I investigated this it seemed that Moodle/Totara was not actually making the LMS API available at the point the course was loaded and started looking for it. Whenever this happened I noticed that Moodle/Totara would include a sort of weird countdown message in the course window prior to actually going to the course content. Typically, I can't replicate it now despite following the same steps!

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 5:31 PM

Unfortunately Apple do seem to have a habit of changing things in iOS that break content quite badly... twice now they've broken playback of HTML5 video.

#safariisthenewinternetexplorer

Picture of Bill Randall
by Bill Randall - Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 8:01 PM

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply and insights.  I've tried turning off Totara's SCORM debugger, but that didn't seem to make any difference.  Also, I'm using the enter button, rather than a manual link.  

Bill

Picture of Leonardo Alves
by Leonardo Alves - Tuesday, 22 May 2018, 8:32 PM

HI Bill,

Not sure if this is your issue but lately we were experiencing issues with Safari and iframes.

The issue is that Safari is blocking 3rd party cookies.  This way the auth cookie that was set in the iframe was never sent to the client and the adapt course would not load.

To solve we had to redirect to a rogue page in the lms that sets the auth cookie and redirects back to our site. 

Or you can just enable 3rd party cookies in Safari.

Not sure if this is your issue. Just something we had the other day.

Picture of Bill Randall
by Bill Randall - Wednesday, 23 May 2018, 7:26 AM

Thanks, Leonardo.  I already have cookies enabled, but appreciate your reply.