Picture of Trieu Truong
Microsoft Edge versions
by Trieu Truong - Thursday, 24 May 2018, 4:04 AM

Hi all,

I have a general question regarding testing with versions of Microsoft Edge.

Currently we saw only on Edge 16 (Edge 41.16299.15.0) the loading screen issue (status not ready) for a course we created with 53 components.The not-ready components are 3 'graphic' components, (occasionally) 1 'hotgraphic' component.

Other versions of Edge don't appear to have the loading issue:
Edge 14 on Windows 10 (Edge 38.14393.2068.0) (loaded)
Edge 15 on Windows 10 (Edge 40.15063.0.0) (loaded)
Edge 15 on Windows 10 (Edge 40.15063.674.0) (loaded)
Edge 16 on Windows 10 (Edge 41.16299.15.0) (BrowserStack/PC not working - screen is stuck at loading icon when course is on FTP server, loaded when course is on local node server).
Edge 17 on Windows 10 (Edge 42.17134.1.0) (loaded) (latest Microsoft Edge)

Did I miss anything or is there any known issue with Edge that we are aware of?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Microsoft Edge versions
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 24 May 2018, 8:35 AM

Well it sounds like either Edge 41 has a problem or there's something wrong with BrowserStack - which personally I don't use but have heard from others who do that it can be flaky

Since Edge, like Chrome & Firefox, is an 'evergreen' browser i.e. one that automatically updates, should you be that concerned about an issue with an old version?

Edge does seem to be quite flaky though, for example I do not seem to be able to open the developer tools anymore:

Picture of Fabio Beoni
Re: Microsoft Edge versions
by Fabio Beoni - Thursday, 24 May 2018, 7:18 PM

Can you please copy/paste the error logs?

When you get the loading icon, press F12 (or Ctrl+Shift+I), then click the Console tab. There you should have error messages describing the error occurred.

Even a screenshot of the console might be useful.

Then let me suggest you to look for an automated testing solution, where your courses are tested simultaneously over many browsers and versions across multiple OS.

Have look to this service: http://browserstak.com

They talk about testing web sites, but actually it applies to any HTML5 content, including adapt courses.

Using such kind of tool is a good way to drastically reduce the risk of having learners getting problems on a course. Bugs happen even to best class software and courses.

If you are interested, I developed testing with similar technologies.

Cheers, Fabio.