Picture of Simon Marshall
Correct MCQ answer updates progress
by Simon Marshall - Friday, 15 June 2018, 1:26 PM

We have a course with a number of MC questions. They are not in an assessment, but just single questions. Currently the progress bar for the course updates when a question is viewed. This means that a course can be completed by just looking at the question.

Is there a way of only updating the progress if a question is answered correctly, therefore a user can only complete the course if they answer all the questions correctly.

Thanks for any information.

Simon

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Correct MCQ answer updates progress
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 15 June 2018, 2:29 PM

Hi Simon

Is there a way of only updating the progress if a question is answered correctly, therefore a user can only complete the course if they answer all the questions correctly.

You have in fact just described the default behaviour of question components in Adapt. To the best of my knowledge it cannot be changed to 'complete when question viewed' without modifying the code in some way. Is it possible that someone has modified the course you are working on so that it has different behaviour?

If I setup a new course from the latest version by doing the following:

$ adapt create course mcq-progress-test
$ cd mcq-progress-test
$ grunt build
$ grunt server

Then go to the 'Question Components' topic in the course when it opens, the progress bar in the top right only fills up when I either:

• answer each question correctly or
  • use up all the attempts with incorrect answers

they're all set to one attempt by default but if you change the number of attempts for any of them you'll see what I mean. If you set the number of attempts to -1 then the learner will be given an infinite number of attempts i.e. the question will only mark as completed if they answer correctly.

Hope this helps