Picture of Martin Butts
Gathering data using xAPI and a record store
by Martin Butts - Friday, 29 June 2018, 8:21 AM

Hi, we currently have limited means of tracking our learners, gathering data on their learning and evaluating the effectiveness of our learning content. We use proprietary technology, so don't currently have an LMS. Our Adapt modules are hosted on Amazon aws.

I'm primarily a learning designer so I don't have a strong understanding of the technology, but I would be very keen if anyone could answer a few questions for me:

Is it worth us looking into xAPI with Adapt?

Does xAPI need to operate through an LMS?

Is anyone using xAPI successfully with Adapt to track learning? I'd be interested in seeing any case studies.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Martin

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Gathering data using xAPI and a record store
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 29 June 2018, 10:05 AM

It certainly sounds like xAPI could be a good way forward.

No, xAPI does not need to operate through an LMS.

Here at Kineo we have used xAPI successfully on a couple of projects but I don't think there are any case studies (yet). I'm sure others may have though, in the meantime here's some articles we have written about xAPI.

I would recommend you have a chat with the folks at HT2 who run Learning Locker.

Picture of Brian Quinn
by Brian Quinn - Friday, 29 June 2018, 1:01 PM

Hi Martin,

In addition to what Matt has said, if you're interested in exploring xAPI and Adapt I'd like to draw your attention to the xAPI extension available at https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt-contrib-xapi.

Regards,

Brian

Picture of Ignacio Cinalli
by Ignacio Cinalli - Sunday, 1 July 2018, 2:11 AM

Hi Martin,
You can check out Adapt - xAPI examples here.

Regards.

Picture of Saurabh Singh
by Saurabh Singh - Saturday, 6 July 2019, 6:08 AM

Hii Martin,

xAPI or Experience API is the latest upgrade to the SCORM learning standard. xAPI has vast support for tracking different types of things such as courses, games, apps, websites, and simulations. You can use it with these things and many more others too.

With xAPI you can track complete user behavior, like:

• Clicks,
  • Slides visiting,
  • Video Tracking, (most-watched sections, total time spent, interactions like play pause, device and lots of details (tracks embedded Youtube and Vimeo videos too )). Learn More about new xAPI video tracking profile here: https://www.nextsoftwaresolutions.com/xapi-video-cop-announces-release-of-xapi-video-profile-v1-0/
  • Device used,
  • Screen Size,
  • Browser
  • Quiz reports like passed or failed (including user responses, essay answers, open answers, multiple choices, time is taken)
  • and many more things.

You can see all this data in your Learning Record Store (LRS).

To apply xAPI in your course, you have to Select xAPI as an LMS standard. Now you can upload your course on any Learning management system and connect it with LRS. When a user takes this course, you can see all his activities in your LRS. Learn More about LRS: https://www.nextsoftwaresolutions.com/learning-record-store/

I hope you found this information useful if you want to learn more about xAPI and want to implement it in your course, you can message me by visiting my profile or clicking my name above. Have a nice day :)

Regards,

Saurabh Chauhan