Picture of Ludovic Bas
improving bookmark and trickle
by Ludovic Bas - Thursday, 2 August 2018, 9:46 AM

Hello,

I was testing the last framework and the trickle/bookmark still doesn't work as expected even if it is better than before.

So now the bookmark is correctly scrolling to the last seen component. But the trickle button doesn't appear. Instead, the next component is already unlocked (even if you didn't click on the trickle button of the last seen component before exiting and resuming the course), you have to scroll down manually to the next component, this last component will show the trickle button.

Resume: after resuming an Adapt course, the trickle button is showing on bookmarked component + 1 instead of bookmarked component.

Could not be an issue, but I think it is fair to resume the course in the exact same condition when you left it.

So, I'll try to help and I would like to know the difference between the variables of:

1. a completed component (when the trickle button appears)

2. a component where the user has clicked on the trickle button

I think 1 is handled by the _isComplete variable. But for 2 I don't know. It could be helpful to fix this.

Any clue on how to solve this?

Thanks;

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: improving bookmark and trickle
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 2 August 2018, 10:49 AM

I think it is fair to resume the course in the exact same condition when you left it.

That would indeed be great but there simply isn't enough storage space available in SCORM 1.2 to have Adapt remember the entire state of the course.

Adapt therefore stores the completion of each block (with an option to remember the user's responses to questions as well) - but not details like whether the trickle button for each block/article etc has been clicked or not.

Even if you could store whether the trickle button has been clicked or not I would argue that from a UX point of view it would be quite annoying for the user to have to click 'Yes' in the bookmarking dialog then immediately have to click a trickle button to see the next block.

Picture of Ludovic Bas
Re: improving bookmark and trickle
by Ludovic Bas - Thursday, 2 August 2018, 12:52 PM

Thanks Matt for your answer.

That would indeed be great but there simply isn't enough storage space available in SCORM 1.2 to have Adapt remember the entire state of the course.

Instead of storing 0 or 1 in the cmi.suspend_data. We could store 0,1 or 2. 2 would means "completed and clicked next". We don't need to use more space.

Maybe we can do this another way : we continue to store 0 or 1 for the completion but we automatically reset the completion of the last completed component. Like that the bookmarked component will match with the first incomplete component and the trickle button will show up. If needed, we can use a global boolean to use this behaviour or not. Otherwise we can change the bookmarked component to the next component so again, the bookmarked component will match with the first incomplete component and no scroll would be needed.

it would be quite annoying for the user to have to click 'Yes' in the bookmarking dialog

Yes ! ...that's why I never use the bookmarking dialog in any course. I always force the bookmark for the user.

then immediately have to click a trickle button to see the next 

Well, in that case, the user has a button to continue at least. When he always click on that button, it is strange to ask him to scroll down himself and he may not even have the idea (it sounds stupid but I have some users like that :D ). Also, graphics and texts components can be "completed" even if the user has not read it, so in that case he doesn't have to click immediately on the trickle button :)