Picture of paul diaper
Using Adapt offline
by paul diaper - Wednesday, 12 September 2018, 8:17 AM

Can Adapt realistically be used offline (disconnected from the internet), with updates being made via disc or USB memory stick?

If there was a need to have a computer network running Adapt that had no direct connection to the internet, would it be possible to:

1. Author and admin the software.
2. Download updates,plugins etc onto an online computer then transfer and install them onto the offline installation.

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Using Adapt offline
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 12 September 2018, 9:08 AM

Aside from the plugin manager's 'check for updates' feature - I believe the normal running and usage of the authoring tool does not require an internet connection

You can certainly download plugins from a connected computer then install them to the offline authoring tool.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether you'd be able to update the authoring tool to a new version without having an internet connection.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 12 September 2018, 9:59 AM

I believe the normal running and usage of the authoring tool does not require an internet connection

Apparently the CKEditor is loaded externally so does require an internet connection.

Picture of Paul Hilton
by Paul Hilton - Wednesday, 12 September 2018, 10:38 AM

I think that would be pretty easy to remedy - at least compared to some of the other issues.

Picture of paul diaper
by paul diaper - Wednesday, 12 September 2018, 10:52 AM

Is the CKeditor just downloaded when Adapt is installed?

I assume it isn't loaded from a site every time Adapt is used.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 12 September 2018, 11:37 AM

Is the CKeditor just downloaded when Adapt is installed?

No

I assume it isn't loaded from a site every time Adapt is used.

It is. If you use the authoring tool with the network panel of your browser's developer tools running you can see for yourself.

As Paul H points out, it should be fairly easy to remedy. It may even be as easy as changing this line??

Picture of paul diaper
by paul diaper - Wednesday, 12 September 2018, 12:49 PM

Thanks.

I just tried rebooting and turning off wifi before starting Adapt, no surprise to see that the editor did not appear. It did however appear once a connection had been made, then wifi turned off. Guess it was using a cached copy.

Would be a minor pain to have to edit the code every time Adapt was upgraded. Unless some redirect for that URL was possible outside the actual Adapt installation. That is Adapt thought it was asking for the URL in the code but the editor files were actually delivered from a local source.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 12 September 2018, 1:28 PM

Unless some redirect for that URL was possible outside the actual Adapt installation

It might be possible to do something like that by amending the PC's hosts file.

Picture of Paul Hilton
by Paul Hilton - Wednesday, 12 September 2018, 9:48 AM

Anything is possible, but you it is certainly going to be much more difficult to keep the system up to date.

The tool updates through bower, and going around that seems very much "against the grain".

Could I ask what the use case is?

Picture of paul diaper
by paul diaper - Wednesday, 12 September 2018, 10:50 AM

The offline network could be used to develop scorm wrapped training content using Adapt.
Obviously connected options would be preferable, but I am just investigating the worse case scenario.

From what I can see online it seems possible to have an offline Node/npm installation (local-npm???).

The main issue appears to be updating Adapt.

Is this correct?

I would think installing plugins, themes etc. would be fine.

Picture of Paul Hilton
by Paul Hilton - Wednesday, 12 September 2018, 11:37 AM

Seems about right. 

And you can just upload a zip file for new plugins.

Picture of paul diaper
by paul diaper - Wednesday, 12 September 2018, 12:54 PM

It looks like Bower is the main thing that makes the idea difficult.