Picture of Mandy Yazdan
"assets" on Authoring Tool
by Mandy Yazdan - Thursday, 11 October 2018, 12:23 PM

Hi team, 

I was hoping someone could help me a bit with adding pictures to my e-learning. I am new to Adapt and still learning how to use the program. 

I have been trying to add "png" or "jpeg" files to my e-learning by uploading them to the Assets section- however they never upload. Would anyone have a solution  for this or possibly an article I could look at?

Adding external graphic through link is fine, but I want to upload my own graphic designs.

I have tired using google and youtube but nothing really helped. 

Thank you

Picture of Sebastin Francis
Re: "assets" on Authoring Tool
by Sebastin Francis - Thursday, 11 October 2018, 1:26 PM

Hi Mandy,

During the Adapt install, did you also install FFMPEG? FFMPEG basically manages all your course assets, such as images. Once this is installed, you should be able to upload all your images, tag them and be able to use the search feature in that Asset Management tool to search for images (if your image library happens to get large!).

In case you need it, here's the specific instructions for installing FFmpeg:

https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring/wiki/Installing-FFmpeg

You can also go directly to the FFmpeg's site for the download and documentation:

https://www.ffmpeg.org/index.html

My initial installation issue with FFmpeg had to do with setting the PATH (in Windows). I followed steps 3-7 in the below wiki to take care of that:

https://www.wikihow.com/Install-FFmpeg-on-Windows

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Sebastin

Picture of Daniel Seixas
by Daniel Seixas - Thursday, 11 October 2018, 2:03 PM

Also it would be very helpful if you share the log when trying to upload the files.

If you're using pm2 to manage your server you can get logs by using 'pm2 logs 0'

Picture of Mandy Yazdan
by Mandy Yazdan - Thursday, 11 October 2018, 2:59 PM

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your response! I am actually not sure how to do that- sorry.

The only thing I can "upload" under assets is Zip Files

Picture of Mandy Yazdan
by Mandy Yazdan - Thursday, 11 October 2018, 2:58 PM

Hi Sebastin,

Thanks so much! I installed FFmpeg successfully now, I am trying to reinstall Adapt Tool now and having some troubles. Hopefully this solves it.

Thanks again,

Mandy

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Thursday, 11 October 2018, 3:16 PM

Hi Sebastin,

ffmpeg is only used to generate thumbnails for the asset manager, and isn't a hard dependency (admittedly, it makes browsing your asset library much harder). 

Picture of Sebastin Francis
by Sebastin Francis - Thursday, 11 October 2018, 3:53 PM

Ah, ok. Thanks for clarifying Tom! As a newbie, I had the exact same issue as Mandy, and mine was resolved by installing FFmpeg! Thought it would do the same (hopefully) for Mandy as well.

-Sebastin

Picture of Mandy Yazdan
by Mandy Yazdan - Thursday, 11 October 2018, 6:55 PM

Thank you all for your help! After installing FFmpeg and then reinstalling my Adapt everything is working great.

I really apperciate the help, and thank you Sebastin for the links!