Picture of Gavin McMaster
Publish src to multiple courses
by Gavin McMaster - Wednesday, 23 July 2014, 9:58 AM

Hi all,

Currently the Adapt framework grunt build process only publishes to a single build folder i.e. a 1 to 1 relation between src and build.  At Kineo we have been trying to solve the issue of publishing the src folder to create multiple courses, as we have a production requirement for this capability. I understand that other Adapt partners have similar requirements around the same issue. Thanks to Brian@LearningPool and Chris@Sponge for taking the time yesterday to discuss their requirements and share how they are approaching this issue.

What I would like to do here is gather requirements and see if a common approach can be found to meet most if not all of these requirements. I think that the ability to publish multiple courses from a single src would be a great addition to the framework.

The current Kineo solution works as follows:

• Adds grunt commands to output the src to multiple named courses
  • Configurable via JSON – grunt_config.json (specify output courses, themes, menus)
  • Each course has its’ own course folder (JSON data and course assets)
  • A default or custom theme can be specified on a course-by-course basis
  • TODO – enable default or custom menu to be specified on a course-by-course basis
  • Supports legacy commands for single builds: grunt build, grunt dev, grunt server, grunt server-scorm. Running any of these will pick up the first module specified in the grunt_config.json file

This extension of the Adapt grunt build tasks has been working well for us in-house for over a month now across a number of projects. Would be good to establish if: people consider this to be a useful feature for the framework, and if so, what requirements there are. 

Picture of Brian Quinn
Re: Publish src to multiple courses
by Brian Quinn - Friday, 25 July 2014, 11:24 AM

Hi Gavin,

The adapt_authoring project has a requirement to generate multiple courses essentially using the same version of the framework.  I've submitted a pull request here:https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/pull/450

This allows a framework to be built, ready for the authoring tool to output the 'course' folder and associated JSON, etc. via the 'server-build' task.

There is support for a customised output directory (via the --outputdir=myfolder switch) and selecting a specific theme (using --theme=adapt-contrib-whatever).

Regards,

Brian