Picture of Mike Stevens
Assessment with 3 attempts last should only fail
by Mike Stevens - Thursday, 31 January 2019, 7:54 PM

Hi I have a question about an assessment we are trying to setup and get working properly with the LMS.

I usually use infinite attempts but for this specific assessment I want to use 3 attempts and have the "Assessment failure status" as incomplete on the first 2 failed attempts and then on the final attempt if failed submit to the LMS a failed status.

This doesn't seem possible in the assessment extension for some reason unless I am missing it. What happens if I set the "Assessment failure status" to incomplete it will set the status to the LMS as that for all failed attempts instead of changing the last attempt status as failed. 

If anyone has an idea of how to do this I am all ears.

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Assessment with 3 attempts last should only fail
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 1 February 2019, 10:41 AM

You're absolutely right, I'm afraid: https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/issues/1448

It's one of those things that has never been enough of a problem to fix properly (whenever it has come up for me I've just hacked something together).

This is a good prompt to revisit this though - I'll have a think about how to do it. Unfortunately it would be a change to Adapt v4 so may not be much use to you as an authoring tool user.. :-(

Picture of Mike Stevens
by Mike Stevens - Friday, 1 February 2019, 4:19 PM

Thanks Matt, for letting me know. I wasn't so sure if it was possible and I knew the authoring tool framework is older then adapt framework. So good to know this isn't possible through all versions right now. If you don't mind I was just curious about the hacks you mentioned. Did you by chance manage to get the Assessment results attempts inputs to talk with the spoor extension to track how many attempts are available or left? I haven't looked too deeply into this but any pointers or help would be so greatly appreciated.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 1 February 2019, 5:23 PM

actually it doesn't really involve the assessmentResult component at all. the assessment extension triggers an event when the assessment is completed, this triggers behaviour both in the results component and in the tracking code - so they act independently of each other.

In the v2 framework version of spoor, it listens out for the assessment completion event and, when it's received, does this.

If you know your course only has one assessment, it's relatively easy to add in a bit of code there to check that assessment to see if it has any attempts left - something like Adapt.assessment._assessments[0].get('_attemptsLeft'); would do the trick.

The problem that's more difficult to solve is that the assessment extension allows for there to be more than one assessment, so what do you do if that's the setup?

Hope this helps