Picture of Petr Kovar
Trickle movement for questions
by Petr Kovar - Wednesday, 27 March 2019, 1:51 AM

I have a quiz on one of the module pages with several consecutive questions. I am using Trickle so that once a question component is completed the Trickle button will appear and ideally clicking on it will scroll so that the entire (or most of) the question component is visible on screen.

The problem is that by default when using block +1 the page only scrolls to the top heading of the next component forcing the user to scroll each time. This doesn't happen on any of the other non-question components so it is not a consistent user experience, not to mention that extra scrolling each time is quite frustrating.

I have tried many different scroll to parameters but none are scrolling past the question heading or top few lines of the body. I have tried block +1, block +2, article +1, article +2 and a few different ids and classes. I think a class/id is the solution but I cannot find one that is unique and always at the bottom of the page for it to scroll there.

How is everyone else solving this, any suggestions?

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Trickle movement for questions
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 27 March 2019, 10:10 AM

Hi Petr

Could you let us know whether you're using the Authoring Tool or the Framework - and the relevant version numbers? Would help to know which version of Trickle you're using. And what browser(s) you're seeing the problem in.

I've just checked this myself using the current version of the framework (v4.1.0 with trickle v3.0.0) and it works fine for me in Firefox, Chrome and IE11.

Picture of Petr Kovar
by Petr Kovar - Friday, 29 March 2019, 4:16 AM

Hi Matt, I am using the Authoring Tool, I have included the version details below:

Authoring Tool: 0.6.2

Framework: 2.3.2

Trickle: 2.2.1

Testing using Chrome

The issue is not that Trickle isn't working, it's that it is not scrolling down far enough on the quiz components, so it scrolls about 20% of the height of the component, while most other components scroll to the very bottom of the component so you see all of the content without needing to scroll after the scroll so to speak. Now of course this won't necessarily work on smaller screens since all of the content may not fit vertically, so maybe it is that way by design?

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 29 March 2019, 10:44 AM

I've just tested this - using Adapt v2.3.3 rather than v2.3.2 but that shouldn't make any difference - and this is how it behaves for me...

Picture of Petr Kovar
by Petr Kovar - Sunday, 31 March 2019, 10:35 PM

Hi Matt, sure that is exactly how I wish mine were working :)  Unfortunately it is only stopping at what looks like the component title. I noticed that your example wasn't using the block titles so I removed those and retested but unfortunately that didn't help. It may be another plugin that is causing a conflict, not really sure.

Picture of Barry Jenkin
by Barry Jenkin - Saturday, 30 March 2019, 1:31 AM

Have you tested using the Vanilla theme in case something in your theme/css is interfering?

Picture of Petr Kovar
by Petr Kovar - Sunday, 31 March 2019, 10:37 PM

Hi Barry, that's a good idea and I hadn't actually tried that yet. So I switched the theme to the vanilla theme and retested but the results were the same unfortunately.

Picture of Aaron Collier
by Aaron Collier - Wednesday, 5 June 2019, 3:40 PM

I'm experiencing similar behavior seemingly at random. I'm using the Adapt Framework (4.2.0) and it happens for some questions but not for others. I noticed that for the ones where it isn't working as expected, I'm also not getting the final button text that I've added to that specific article (I get the default text instead). (I do get the right text if I set it to be visible before completion and change "text" rather than "finalText", but still not the right scrolling.) It does seem to be an inconsistent user experience.