Picture of Barry Jenkin
Locating interactions data
by Barry Jenkin - Thursday, 28 March 2019, 4:52 AM

I have a bunch of courses on the old framework (2.x) that are suddenly not sending cmi.interactions data, probably as a result of recent upgrades. I'm exporting (publishing) using AT 0.6.5.

However when I resume an attempt of my course (in moodle), the course does remember my last responses. Where is it saving this information?

An example: user selects no.4 on a 1-10 slider. The selection doesn't appear in my scorm data, yet when I reopen the course, even on another device, it restores this selected number on the slider. 

Is there some fallback location when cmi.interactions fails to share properly with the host LMS database? If I can track this down and retrieve using sql it might save me having to downgrade all the relevant plugins to try to get cmi.interactions reporting normally again.

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Locating interactions data
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 28 March 2019, 10:03 AM

https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/issues/2204

Picture of Barry Jenkin
by Barry Jenkin - Thursday, 28 March 2019, 1:31 PM

Thanks - I did stumble on this. I haven't yet found the right version of mcq to roll back to. I've gone back as far as 2.1.1 - should I keep going? The issue affects slider as well but I've been testing mcq for the meantime.

Could spoor version be part of the problem? I'm using v2.1.3. 

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 28 March 2019, 2:30 PM

Yes, you'll need to go back to v2.0.6 for MCQ and v2.0.5 of GMCQ. For slider it should be v2.3.0

Essentially you need to be looking for the release before the one that has 'split into model/view' in it.

Oh, and to answer your earlier question:

However when I resume an attempt of my course (in moodle), the course does remember my last responses. Where is it saving this information?

This information is saved to cmi.suspend_data which is a field specifically dedicated to storing the course's 'internal state' for the purpose of restoring that data when the course is resumed by the learner. This is quite different to interaction tracking - which is about recording the learners' answers to questions for reporting purposes. Most of the fields involved in interaction tracking are 'write only', so the would not be able to access interaction data to restore the learner's responses.

If you turn on SCORM debugging in Moodle you can actually see all of this taking place, if that's of interest.

Picture of Barry Jenkin
by Barry Jenkin - Thursday, 28 March 2019, 11:07 PM

Thanks! I've got mcq working now for interactions. With slider 2.3.0 I got an error when previewing:

Fatal error: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/adapt_authoring/temp/5a580ac12cd77581277463da/adapt_framework/src/components/adapt-contrib-slider/js/sliderView.js'

I'm on framework 2.3.3.

Picture of Barry Jenkin
by Barry Jenkin - Friday, 29 March 2019, 12:03 AM

.. actually it seems to have sorted itself out. I had a confidenceSlider in there which mustn't have liked the change in slider version. I rolled back to confidenceSlider v2.1.1 so all interactions are working fine now.