Installing component
by Sam Howell - Monday, 27 May 2019, 7:49 PM

Hi all,

I'm having trouble installing the Adapt flipper component. The instruction is: "Run the following from the command line: adapt install adapt-flipper "

But when I ran this command on my VPS where I have Adapt installed, I got: The program 'adapt' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
apt install adapt

So I ran the command, then tried original command again and then got: Example usage
   adapt install -r wily -p tomcat7
   adapt run -r xenial -c 'gcc -v'
   adapt alias -r xenial -c juju
   adapt unalias -c juju
   adapt shell -d centos -r 6
   adapt list

How do I install the Adapt flipper component?

Thanks

Sam

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Installing component
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 28 May 2019, 12:25 PM

Hi Sam

Unfortunately you don't mention whether you are using the Adapt Authoring tool or the Adapt Framework...

Also unfortunately, this is a very misleading instruction on the part of your VPS:

The program 'adapt' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing: apt install adapt

I think that will have caused this to be installed - which is definitely not going to be of any use here.

If you do indeed want to be able to use the Adapt framework (i.e. develop and build adapt directly via JSON and the command line rather than via a GUI) then these are the instructions you should follow for installing it.

by Sam Howell - Wednesday, 29 May 2019, 8:17 AM

Hi Matt.

Sorry for not being clearer. This was just a misunderstanding on my part. I'm using the authoring tool GUI so it was actually much easier than I thought at first. I discovered I could just upload a plugin zip into the authoring tool.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Sam

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Tuesday, 28 May 2019, 12:03 PM

Hi Sam,

As Matt implies, there are different methods for the different tools. And as with most things in life, there is more than one way to get the job done. Here’s one way.

Go out to the flipper repo: https://github.com/danielstorey/adapt-flipper and download the latest version. Extract/unzip the package.

If you are working in the authoring tool, follow these directions: https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring/wiki/Plugin-Management (If you haven't yet discovered these, wikis exist for both the framework and the authoring tool.)

If you are working directly in the framework, move the extracted folder into your project. Because flipper is a component, place it in /src/components. Rebuild the project using git build

by Sam Howell - Wednesday, 29 May 2019, 8:19 AM

Thanks Chuck,

This has now been resolved by simply uploading the component zip straight into the project in the authoring tool.

Sam