Picture of Lars Halkjær
Slow course page load time on AT server
by Lars Halkjær - Thursday, 13 June 2019, 2:39 PM

We have an Adapt AT server where one course suddenly became quite slow to work with.
It is a 0.8.1/2.4.0 server with only 2 users and 4 courses.

Looking in the browser console it seemed that it was database requests when opening a page that would take around 10 secs.

It seems to be queries of this type: http://x.x.x.x/api/content/config/5c94cb234345070789fc9de7
Almost always config stuff (and typically a TTFB of 10 secs and a download time of a few hundred msecs).

I tried to look in the database collections but they seemed ok.
The "sessions" table did contain more that 83.000 records, which is far more than any other AT server we have, so I tried deleting the content of the "sessions" table, but it had no effect.

The 3 other courses on the server does not have that problem.

Neither of them are quite as big though.

The problem course has 11 main pages - 9 of which has 3-4 sub-pages, which in turn has 1-4 articles with 2-3 blocks.

We have had courses of similar size without any problems (though they were on 0.4.1/2.2.5 servers).

I also tried exporting the course and import it on a fresh AT server, but the problem was still there.

Lastly I tried making a copy of the server, and start deleting pages.
The response time seemed to drop linearly with the number of pages, but it seems that the response time with half the pages deleted, still is quite longer that the response time before the problem began, where at least 3/4 of the pages where implemented.

Has anyone any experience with this?

Picture of Dan Gray
Re: Slow course page load time on AT server
by Dan Gray - Wednesday, 26 June 2019, 1:36 PM

Hi Lars, I'm experiencing a very similar problem after upgrading a site to AT v0.8.1 and FW v2.4.0 (previously on AT v0.5.0 & FW v2.2.5)

Also getting a lot of latency with the queries. Tried some node profiling which pointed towards mongoose in node_modules. There is this issue on the mongoose repo.

Will do some more investigation. 

Picture of Nicola Willis
by Nicola Willis - Monday, 1 July 2019, 1:25 PM

Good afternoon Lars,

Thank you for your post. I have made a fix to the Authoring Tool which should decrease page loading times significantly. 

We are planning to release this fix as part of the upcoming version 0.9.0 of the Authoring Tool.

Thanks 

Nicola

Picture of John Niezen
by John Niezen - Thursday, 4 July 2019, 11:59 AM

That would be very great, as we also face this issue since moving to 0.8.0.

Waiting for it with high expectations :-)

Picture of Lars Halkjær
by Lars Halkjær - Thursday, 4 July 2019, 11:48 PM

That sounds really great!

Looking forward to 0.9.0.

Picture of Nicola Willis
by Nicola Willis - Friday, 19 July 2019, 3:28 PM
Picture of David  Tarrant
by David Tarrant - Friday, 4 October 2019, 1:30 PM

I still have a lot of problems with course load times after the 0.10.0 release. 

Given that each course, article, page, block, component etc appears to be loaded using a separate API request this is causing a significant slow down for my AT server.

To give an indication of performance a page with 10 blocks (each containing 2 components) takes a total of 6 seconds to load. Thus half a second per block. Thus a page with 32 blocks containing questions in a question bank takes nearly 17 seconds to load. Each time I edit a question and press save I have to wait another 17 seconds. 

This is pretty horrific performance. Perhaps the API needs to be streamlined to not need so many calls in order to load each page in the AT?

AT: 0.10.0
AF: 2.4.0
Node: v8
Mongo: v3.2.6

Any other hints to speed this up welcome.