Picture of Andy Carter
Authoring without an Internet Connection
by Andy Carter - Thursday, 26 September 2019, 4:09 PM

Hello,

I've recently started using the Adapt Authoring Tool (v0.10.0) and finding it extremely useful. 

However, some of the work I do requires a fair bit of travel which can leave me without an Internet connection.

For some reason, the Authoring Tool seems to try to connect to the Internet on start-up, I presume this is looking for updates? Is there any way I can turn this off and start the Adapt Authoring tool without a connection?

Thank you,

Andy

Picture of Ailiniyazi Maimaiti
Re: Authoring without an Internet Connection
by Ailiniyazi Maimaiti - Friday, 27 September 2019, 2:47 PM

Hi Andy,

of course you can do that. What you can do is establish a local server enviroment, when you need to use Authoring Tool, just start the local server.

Actually, Adapt Authoring Tool provides also a localhost enviroment, once you installed Authoring Tool by following the steps from official documentation, the localhost enviroment also be installed. So just start the local server by using commend line: node server

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 27 September 2019, 3:37 PM

My reading of Andy's request is that he does in fact have that setup but finds it is still trying to connect to the internet on start-up - I'm guessing to check for updates? Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge of the inner workings of the AAT can confirm, it may be that this is something that needs to be fixed so that if there's no internet connection found it doesn't try, or/as well gives up if there's no response.

Picture of Andy Carter
by Andy Carter - Friday, 27 September 2019, 3:48 PM

Thanks Matt,

that's exactly this issue I'm having. Wonder if it's unique to me?

I do a fair bit of authoring in hotel rooms or airports etc where connecting to the internet can either be a bit hit-and-miss or expensive.

I guess this isn't a 'normal' authoring environment :-)

Thank you again for your response,

Andy

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 27 September 2019, 4:41 PM

I suspect that may well be the case, if so I'm sure it's something that can be sorted out.

Picture of Andy Carter
by Andy Carter - Friday, 27 September 2019, 3:42 PM

Thank you Ailiniyazi,

I am using localhost:5000 (the default setting) but when I boot Adapt with no internet connection I get the following:

$ node server
info [27 Sep 19 16:31:18 +01:00] configuration loaded from C:\Users\Andy\adapt_a
uthoring\conf\config.json
info [27 Sep 19 16:31:20 +01:00] Supporting the following authentication types:
info [27 Sep 19 16:31:20 +01:00] - local
(node:7072) DeprecationWarning: current Server Discovery and Monitoring engine i
s deprecated, and will be removed in a future version. To use the new Server Dis
cover and Monitoring engine, pass option { useUnifiedTopology: true } to the Mon
goClient constructor.
error [27 Sep 19 16:31:21 +01:00] Failed to connect to https://api.github.com/
info [27 Sep 19 16:31:23 +01:00] Connection established: adapt-tenant-master
error [27 Sep 19 16:31:23 +01:00] Some of the prerequisites could not be found,
see above for details.

I've obviously got something wrong in the set-up as it looks like it's trying to connect to github.com.

I'm not overly technical so not sure where this line of code is and if it can be removed without doing the boot sequence any damage.

Once I connect to the internet again, everything works well. 

Thank you for your advice.

Andy

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Friday, 27 September 2019, 4:53 PM

Hi Andy,

You should be able to start the application without checking for updates by doing the following:

node server --skipVersionCheck

Picture of Andy Carter
by Andy Carter - Friday, 27 September 2019, 5:12 PM

Thanks Tom,

unfortunately that doesn't seem to work either. I still get the same error.

Andy.