Picture of Christina Herdt
Completed status is not passed to LMS (Avendoo)
by Christina Herdt - Thursday, 17 October 2019, 1:44 PM

Hi,
has anyone experience with the Avendoo LMS or implementing Adapt courses into Avendoo?

I'm working in the Adapt Authoring Tool (presumably v0.7.1 and Framework v4.1.1) and built a a course with 2 pages - one is a "blind" page which is set to hidden and unavailable and one that is filled with my content. Completion criteria of the course is only completion of the content. Therefore the articles, blocks and components are all set to "optional" and the page level progress is not enabled - except for the last article, its block and its component on the page with the content. Here the page level progress is enabled and these elements are not optional. So normally, when one scrolls down the page and reaches the last article, the page should return "completed" as status.
Looking at the Scorm debug window when I open the course in the Adapt preview, I can see that this is successfully done (see picture 1). Unfortunately, as soon as the course is loaded into the LMS (Avendoo) this does not work anymore (see picture 2).

I tried different measures - like deleting the blind page, deleting all other extensions used, using another (the Vanilla) theme - but the effect remained the same: the completed status is not passed on to the LMS.

Has anyone an idea what might be the problem? Any help is appreciated...

Best regars,

Christina

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Completed status is not passed to LMS (Avendoo)
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 17 October 2019, 3:24 PM

The only obvious thing I can glean from those screenshots is that, in the second one, Adapt thinks you have already completed all the content - see the bit of suspend_data where it says _isCourseComplete: "true". If you haven't done so already, could you try uploading this to Avendoo LMS as a completely new course?

by Christina Herdt - Friday, 18 October 2019, 9:41 AM

Hi Matt,

I didn't do that before, but I gave it a try now - and you were right!
I uploaded my Adapt course as a new course in the Avendoo LMS and - et voila! - the completed status was passed properly! So, in generally everything works correctly.
Thanks a lot for that crucial hint!

So, just for my understanding (I'm not so familiar with SCORM processes etc.): Adapt passes the completed status only once (the first time when it's achieved) to the LMS; if I visit the course again, this value is not passed on anymore?

Best regards,

Christina

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 18 October 2019, 11:06 AM

So, just for my understanding (I'm not so familiar with SCORM processes etc.): Adapt passes the completed status only once (the first time when it's achieved) to the LMS; if I visit the course again, this value is not passed on anymore?

That certainly is correct - once the status is set to completed/passed in the LMS it's not necessary to keep setting it. On a couple of occasions I have been told that a particular LMS require this - but it's definitely NOT part of the SCORM standard (and often turns out not to be accurate anyway).

However, I don't think that's quite what happened in this situation - if it had passed the completed status to the LMS, then the LMS should have remembered that and told the course that the status is 'completed' when relaunched, which it hasn't done.

So, how it works is that the Spoor (SCORM tracking) plugin is listening for tracking:complete event that is triggered by the core code when it calculates that the 'completion criteria' have been met. When the spoor plugin 'hears' that event it sends the completion status to the LMS.

It is therefore possible (though difficult) to put the learner into a situation where it's impossible for them to complete the course.

One way this could happen is that the course is initially set to 'require content completed' and 'require assessment passed'. You upload the course to the LMS and the learner completes all the content but fails the assessment. As the learner didn't meet both completion criteria, a 'completed' status won't be sent to the LMS.

An update to the course subsequently removes the 'require assessment passed' criterion - but now it will be impossible for that learner to complete the course: they have already completed all the content in a previous session - so there's no 'trigger' for the 'course completed' event to be sent again.

Thankfully this sort of situation usually only crops up during course development, mainly due to initial misconfiguration. Which is why it's generally a good idea to upload as a new course to the LMS so that your testing isn't affected by the data originating from a session that had a different configuration.

by Christina Herdt - Monday, 21 October 2019, 7:21 AM

Thanks for that good explanation, Matt!

I suppose this is just what happened in my case. The final setting of the completion settings happened just in the last few steps, but the course itself is in the LMS for already a longer time.