Picture of Paul McElvaney
First ever Adapt Hack?
by Paul McElvaney - Friday, 8 August 2014, 10:58 AM

Hi folks,

The Adapt project is really gathering a head of steam now and a few of us thought it'd be good to have a face to face get together in September to celebrate the project's first birthday. So here's my suggestion:

1. We do the first ever Adapt Hack in September during CultureTECH in Derry, Northern Ireland - This festival is a week long celebration of culture, arts and technology and is a lot of fun - check out the video of last year's event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCNoO91KR0s or the website which is culturetech.co
  2. We hold the event in a traditional Irish Cottage that we're turning into the Learning Pool Cottage for the week anyway - just to make it a bit more interesting! Check out the proposed venue here https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3196/2802508741_f2f22b148a_z.jpg
  3. We invite people who are techs, creatives, educationalists and artists to participate to do something that we can showcase as part of the festival and also online afterwards
  4. We invite some people who are infulencers in the e-learning industry to come along and lend their support - Donald Clark is already in town so he's a good start
  5. We use this as an opportunity to review progress on the project and plan, with Sven the next 12 months' activity - there's a huge evening programme of music events which we can go along to - plus there's an MTV event at the weekend for anyone who wants to stay around.

I know getting to Derry may be a stretch for some people so to help, Learning Pool (and some others I'm hoping to announce soon) will offer a travel bursary to any individuals or start-ups who want to come but can't afford the ticket etc. If you are interested or have any feedback or suggestions please reply to this thread - I'd like to get this confirmed next week if I can.

Thanks - hope we can make this happen

Paul

Picture of Darren Hockley
Re: First ever Adapt Hack?
by Darren Hockley - Friday, 8 August 2014, 11:36 AM

Hi Paul

Sounds like a great idea and DeltaNet would like to get involved. Not sure who will come from the team but you can certainly count on some support from us.

Regards

Darren

me
by Sven Laux - Friday, 8 August 2014, 12:08 PM

Hi Paul,

as discussed - the Kineo Adapt team will be there at the Adapt Hack and we're contributing to the bursary to help people who feel they can contribute and want to get involved but need help with the travel costs.

I'm very much looking forward to getting people together face to face and make this a memorable first Adapt Hack!

Sven

Picture of Nicola Bamford
by Nicola Bamford - Friday, 15 August 2014, 12:04 PM

Hacks do sound like a great idea to bring people together.

Any chance of tying in some themed webinars/streams for those that might not be able to make it?

Nicola

by Paul McElvaney - Monday, 18 August 2014, 8:48 AM

Hi folks,

Just a quick update on this - we're confirmed for Wednesday 17th September and we have launched the bursary application with a quick application form here: https://docs.google.com/a/learningpool.com/forms/d/1Ovuvhx6Z-K0mllAgKMhzWolmhF77j5SM_pgupOoFSzo/viewform Closing date is September 5th.

We're really keen for as many people to come along as possible so if you think the bursary is for you or someone you know, please take a few minutes to complete it so we can help you get to Northern Ireland.

Nicola we'll think through some ideas about getting people who arent there involved remotely - not sure we can do full streaming but we should be able to use the community, Skype etc for anyone who's interested

Paul

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Monday, 18 August 2014, 1:51 PM

Hey,

This sounds amazing! I'm in! I think this is a great opportunity to learn from the core team, get an insight into the product - both Adapt and Origin and see what things are planned for the future. Plus Derry's CultureTECH festival is brilliant!

Thanks,

Daryl

Picture of Petra Nussdorfer
by Petra Nussdorfer - Monday, 18 August 2014, 3:09 PM

Hey guys, LearnChamp will most probably join the Adapt Hack. But it would be good to have kind of an agenda as we should know who should go there and how long they should stay. Are there already any ideas about the "project" that we will showcase afterwards?

Looking forward to seeing you in Derry

Petra

by Paul McElvaney - Thursday, 21 August 2014, 3:16 PM

HI Petra,

That's great news. I'm going to spend some time next Tuesday planning this with Sven and we'll share our ideas here after that. The hack itself is timetabled for the Wednesday but it it suits you to come for a few extra days you are more than welcome to use the Learning Pool office as a temporary home so you make the most of the travel times. There's also lots of fun tech stuff going on that week, especially on Thursday and Friday so there'll be plenty to keep you entertained!

I'll share an update with you next week and in the meantime if you need any help or advice with travel plans email me paul[at]learningpool[dot]com

Paul

Picture of Darren Hockley
by Darren Hockley - Thursday, 28 August 2014, 4:35 PM

Hi Paul

Wondered how the plans were coming along for the hack and if you had a clearer idea of agenda etc.?

We were thinking of sending a small team to include a learning designer, developer and graphic designer but I guess this depends on how you see the day playing out. Do you have a maximum capacity for the event in terms of numbers?

Thanks

Darren