Picture of James Parker
Setup issues
by James Parker - Wednesday, 4 March 2020, 2:40 PM

[james@james-pc adapt_authoring]$ sudo node install

Found an existing config.json file. Do you want to use the values in this file during install?
> Use existing config values? y/N (N) n

This script will install the application.
Would you like to continue?
> Continue? Y/n (Y) y

We need to configure the tool before install.
Tip: just press ENTER to accept the default value in brackets.
> Server port (5000)
> Server name (localhost)
> Data directory path (data)
> Git repository URL to be used for the authoring tool source code (https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring.git)
> Git repository URL to be used for the framework source code (https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework.git)
> Specific git revision to be used for the framework. Accepts any valid revision type (e.g. branch/tag/commit) (tags/v5.1.0)
> Master database name (adapt-tenant-master)
> Will you be using a full database connection URI? (all connection options in the URI) y/N (N) n
> Database host (localhost)
> Database server port (27017)
> Database server user (only specify if using database authentication)
> Database server password (only specify if using database authentication)
> Database server authentication database (only specify if using database authentication)
> Will you be using an SMTP server? (used for sending emails) y/N (N) n
Now we need to configure the master tenant.
Tip: just press ENTER to accept the default value in brackets.

error [04 Mar 20 14:33:39 +00:00] Server selection timed out after 30000 ms
error [04 Mar 20 14:33:39 +00:00] failed to set app.db

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thank you.

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Setup issues
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 5 March 2020, 12:56 PM

I don't know the answer sorry, but just to mention this person is having what sounds like the same issue (and it doesn't sound like the suggested solution of prefixing the command with sudo will help since I can see you're already doing that.

Picture of James Parker
by James Parker - Thursday, 5 March 2020, 1:09 PM

I have posted in the other thread... Apologies.

I think my issue is a settings issue and maybe a database issue. However, it's been so long since I set something like this up, I'm massively out of touch.

Picture of James Parker
by James Parker - Friday, 13 March 2020, 10:18 AM

I am still struggling with this so if anyone has any idea what I'm doing wrong, your advice would be much appreciated.

Happy Friday! :-)

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 13 March 2020, 11:19 AM

One thing to check - as this is the most common mistake made by people trying to install Adapt - are you using the version of Node that is specified in the installation instructions?

Picture of James Parker
by James Parker - Friday, 13 March 2020, 11:39 AM

The installation guide says LTS - it appears I have the correct version...?

Picture of Oliver Foster
by Oliver Foster - Friday, 13 March 2020, 7:14 PM

can you connect to your mongodb instance using a database management tool, such as RoboMongo or similar? It may be that your db isn't running, the error seems specific to the mongodb connection.
https://robomongo.org/download

Picture of James Parker
by James Parker - Saturday, 14 March 2020, 8:34 AM

I think that's exactly the issue. I'm not sure I created a database. I remember from running Moodle locally in the past that I had to create a database. Is this not part of the process? I will give this a go. I am very prone to skimming instructions.

Picture of Kai Niethammer
by Kai Niethammer - Wednesday, 18 March 2020, 8:39 AM

Hi all,

also stumbled upon this during my installation on ubuntu 18.04 yesterday.

Found out that the mongodb service did not start properly and automatically. After starting it manually and making sure it autostarts on reboot the installation went well and completed successfully.

Hope this helps on your end too.

Cheers,
Kai

Picture of James Parker
by James Parker - Monday, 23 March 2020, 10:29 AM

Right, so I solved this issue. I installed the full mongo-db from the AUR rather than the Ubuntu binary version (it took several hours to build) and then when I ran it it worked properly.

Then I ran node server from another Konsole tab and it ran as expected.

Is it possible to make a Flatpak or a Snap for Adapt for Linux users? I've never built one but I'd be tempted to give it a go if it were viable. Would it be possible to add it to the AUR even? Anything to make this process simpler for less technical people (I am including myself in that - my development skills are a little rusty) so as to not put people off, because it's a great tool and possibly does alienate the absolute beginner because the installation is a touch tricky.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 23 March 2020, 12:46 PM

If you want to give it a go, please do! The only reason we don't look at things like this is lack of time, most of the time people have spare is best spent working on the authoring tool/framework code itself.