Picture of Jonathan Briggs
Course Localisation maintaining asset links?
by Jonathan Briggs - Monday, 9 March 2020, 10:41 AM

From courses created with the Authoring Tool, I'm successfully exporting language files and importing with grunt translate:import --targetLang=de --replace for example. All good - but I lose all links to assets in the course. Is there any way to maintain the links, since it seems unnecessarily time consuming to relink everything? It would be great to hold on to custom CSS too, but at least that's a quick action to restore. Any thoughts out there?

Thanks, Jonathan

Picture of Oliver Foster
Re: Course Localisation maintaining asset links?
by Oliver Foster - Monday, 9 March 2020, 5:09 PM

Are you reimporting the course into the Authoring Tool then losing the links?

by Jonathan Briggs - Monday, 9 March 2020, 5:23 PM

Yes, that's right

Picture of Oliver Foster
by Oliver Foster - Tuesday, 10 March 2020, 9:12 PM

Can you describe how the assets go missing in a bit more detail? Is it that the images are missing from graphic components etc, or are you using resource assets, theme assets etc? Or do you mean html links in content?

Are you expecting the de folder to work in the upload or are you uploading a course with de content using the en folder? (I don't think the AAT will handle anything but the en folder at present... I could be wrong).

by Jonathan Briggs - Wednesday, 11 March 2020, 12:21 PM

I'll attempt to:

When a course is exported to source code from AAT the assets run along in src / course / en / assets, but as per the localisation wiki assets are not copied into the newly created course when using grunt translate:import or in my case grunt translate:import --targetLang=de --replace

In order to get the course ready to zip up and import back into the AAT I'm removing the node folder I've installed, language files and the original en folders and switch the default in config to de and I could / can move over the assets then to the new de folder before I delete the en one. This approach works and gives me a course that runs with all the graphics in place.

But these assets are already in the asset library of the AAT found at data/master/assets (though I have no idea how the folders inside that location come about). Am I creating huge duplication by doing this? Is there another, better, way? Since we're dealing with quite a lot of courses in multiple languages with some nice graphics I could do with avoiding Gigs of graphics duplication and need to cascade the right approach.

Jonathan

Picture of Oliver Foster
by Oliver Foster - Wednesday, 11 March 2020, 8:12 PM

Cool. That makes sense. I'm going to defer to anyone else who know's more about the Authoring Tool than I do. Thanks for the detailed question.