Picture of Chris Gillison
Storing user inputted data in LMS
by Chris Gillison - Saturday, 14 March 2020, 11:43 AM

Hi all,

Are there any options for storing user inputted data in an LMS using Adapt? I've been looking at the adapt-nameInput component for storing user input within a course, but am I correct in assuming that anything inputted isn't actually storred in the LMS, but set as a global variable for use only within the course itself? Could that data be stored in the LMS somehow? Are there any other ways of capturing user input in an LMS?

Usage example: user inputs a pledge they make to do something using adapt-nameInput (or by some other means). This pledge is then stored in the LMS for access by LMS admin.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Chris

Picture of Simon Date
Re: Storing user inputted data in LMS
by Simon Date - Saturday, 14 March 2020, 2:51 PM

I assume you are using SCORM? What version 1.2 or 2004? SCORM is quite a limited API and only provides limited bandwidth of data transfer. Whilst sending a String across in SCORM 1.2 is usually fine you would need to configure Adapt's Spoor plugin to enable this.

Reading up on the Spoor plugin as well as SCORM's technical overview and documentation will probably help.

I'm sure Matt Leathes can provide more information, but using xAPI or a custom LMS plugin may be the only approach if you are planning on doing anything more than just saving a few Strings.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 16 March 2020, 12:37 PM

To save something:

Adapt.offlineStorage.set(name, value);

To retrieve something:

Adapt.offlineStorage.get(name);

Should work across SCORM and xAPI.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 16 March 2020, 12:55 PM

If you're using a version of Adapt FW older than v3.1.0 you'll need to be aware of this:https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/issues/1981

by Chris Gillison - Monday, 23 March 2020, 4:27 AM

Many thanks to you both.

Not sure how I check what SCORM version I'm using! It's SCORM 1.2 I think, as it's running on Moodle 3.8.1.

I'll try your cose Matt, for which many thanks. Might be just what I need.

Regards

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 23 March 2020, 12:33 PM

Not sure how I check what SCORM version I'm using! It's SCORM 1.2 I think, as it's running on Moodle 3.8.1.

You can check what version the course is packaged for by looking in imsmanifest.xml - it's in the schemaversion node. Adapt defaults to SCORM 1.2

If you want to check what version(s) your LMS supports your best bet is to check their documentation.

Note that Moodle doesn't officially support SCORM 2004 any more - though last time I'd checked all the code for it was still in place. I wouldn't use it though, it mostly works but definitely has a few issues and these will never be fixed unless you want to submit a patch yourself!

by Chris Gillison - Monday, 23 March 2020, 3:26 PM

Thanks for the guidance Matt. Yep, it's 1.2.