Picture of Simon Date
*New extension* Adapt Block Branching
by Simon Date - Wednesday, 15 April 2020, 2:21 PM

Hi there,

I'm releasing a brand new open source extension to the Adapt Learning community 🎉

Adapt Block Branching adds branching functionality to Adapt, allowing you to create scenario-driven e-learning. It's ideal for creating fun and engaging scenarios (I gave the example of Goosebumps books in the video below) as well as for informal assessments.

Learn more about the extension -

The extension works on the Article and Block level. Each Block that has the extension enabled hides all the future blocks in the Article. Once the question Component in the Block is answered it will unlock the corresponding Block which reveals a further question for the learner.

If you want to try the Block Branching extension in your own projects, I've written a blog post on my website which shares a bit more information as well as the extension download link and its accompanying Scenario Outcome component.

See my blog and download the extension here.

I'll be actively maintaining this extension so if you have any questions or want to request new features ask below or create an issue on Github.

This extension was possible due to the client project which I cover in the blog post. If you are looking to create brand new learning experiences in Adapt why not partner with my company, Adapt Freelancer?

I've also recently started a newsletter where I share my new Adapt releases as well as some tips and tricks on how to use Adapt. You can join the newsletter here.

Enjoy,

Simon

Picture of Henrik Aabom
Re: *New extension* Adapt Block Branching
by Henrik Aabom - Thursday, 16 April 2020, 4:12 AM

This is cool! Good work, Simon :D

Picture of Barry Jenkin
by Barry Jenkin - Thursday, 16 April 2020, 6:23 AM

Sounds good!

Just tried installing the component to test it out but it said it wasn't compatible with fw 4.4.1. Is it only for 5+?

Picture of Simon Date
by Simon Date - Thursday, 16 April 2020, 5:05 PM

Hi Barry,

I've just pushed an update that I forgot to push when I released it. This should make it work correctly (sorry about that!).

I've only been testing in v5 of the framework but since it doesn't use any Handlebars or CSS files I can't see why it wouldn't work in an earlier version.

Picture of Barry Jenkin
by Barry Jenkin - Thursday, 16 April 2020, 11:43 PM

Hey Simon.

I'm still getting the error. The extension was uploading fine but not the scenarioOutcome component.

Picture of Simon Date
by Simon Date - Monday, 20 April 2020, 3:01 PM

Hi Barry,

The Scenario Outcome was built to only work in FW v5. For the reasons that Pete outlines here, components aren't as easily backwards compatible with older versions of the Framework.

I'll try to create a FW version 2+ for the scenario component in the next few weeks. If you have experience creating or modifying plugins yourself it should be a quick fix.

Simon

Picture of Chris Gillison
by Chris Gillison - Thursday, 12 November 2020, 4:57 PM

Hi Simon. This looks great. I really want to give it a go, but I've fallen at the first hurdle!

I don't really understand how the articles, blocks and components hang together. I have an article with the example.json code in it, then 3 blocks, all with different scenario IDs. First block contains a 2 option question, other 2 blocks contain a graphic I'm getting the loading screen of death.

Would it be at all possible to provide a better example of the json that includes what's happening with the components?

(Using FW 5.6.1 BTW)

Picture of Mike Stevens
by Mike Stevens - Thursday, 12 November 2020, 9:04 PM

Here is a screen shot explanation hope that helps you out...

Picture of Chris Gillison
by Chris Gillison - Friday, 13 November 2020, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the screenshots Mike. I'm working in the framework though, not the AT.

Working back from the components, my first block contains an MCQ with 2 options. The next 2 blocks just have an image & text (no MCQs). I guess there must be something wrong with the JSON in blocks 2 & 3, perhaps something to do that there are no more branches or something? What happens to the "user answer" part at that point for example? Is the scenarioOutcome component a prerequisite for this to work maybe? I've tried umpteen variations but the page still isn't loading.

As well as the 'enable' JSON in the article, here's the JSON I've got

In Block 1 (containing a 2-option MCQ) I have the following JSON:

"_blockBranching": {
      "_isEnabled": true,
      "_scenarioId": 0,
      "_userAnswer": [
        "1",
        "2"
      ]
}

Block 2 (containing text & image) I have the following JSON:
      "_scenarioId": 1,
        "3",
        "4"
      ]
}

Block 3 I have:
      "_scenarioId": 2,
        "5",
        "6"
      ]
}
Picture of Mike Stevens
by Mike Stevens - Friday, 13 November 2020, 3:10 PM

Hi Chris,

I included a link to a brief Youtube demo on the Block Branching extension below, it might help just seeing it work in action as often visuals are worth a 1000 words.

My apologies for not explaining so much in last explanation was a busy day. Simon Date the creator would most likely do a better job explaining. That said from what I can see what you are trying to do I would suggest using the Scenario Outcome component he created as you will need an end point to each path.

Also from my understanding of block branching, it is meant to work with MCQ's/Matching (ex. _userAnswer). So if you only have graphic and text it would be difficult to move to your Block 3 as there is no button or link to move you on to the next path. The MCQ/Matching is where each choice is made without it there is no action to move on. Hope the makes sense.

FYI: Using CSS/LESS you could make a MCQ selection into a graphic thus making it work by overlaying a new look onto of the existing MCQ options.

Youtube demo below...

Picture of Simon Date
by Simon Date - Tuesday, 17 November 2020, 3:37 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for creating this video. The video that I created was perhaps not the best tutorial for how to use the extension, more an introduction to the functionality and the rationale behind it.

Yes, as explained the endpoint means that the Scenario Outcome component should be used at the end of each section. You should have a question component per block. This means that you can have a single question component with a non-question component accompanying it. I believe I use this in my video to show an accompanying quote.

The use of separate IDs rather than using Block or Component IDs was a design choice so that you could easily import/export from the AT to the FW. I know other plugins have also made this design choice (for example the assessment extension). I admit it does add some complexity. As I suggested in my video I would recommend using a separate flow diagram tool to help you design the scenario.

Hope that helps,

Simon

Picture of Simon Date
by Simon Date - Friday, 29 July 2022, 1:17 PM

Hi all,

In case you've found this thread and you're looking for branching in your own courses, I would highly recommend instead using the core team's branching extension.

You can find out more about the extension through my review on Adapt Tips.

https://adapt.tips/adapt-plugin-review-branching/

Let me know how you get on with it!