Picture of Markus Görlich
Use cmi.core.score for non-assessments
by Markus Görlich - Monday, 20 April 2020, 6:14 PM

Hello everybody,

Am I correct that cmi.core.score is just for assessments? I thought about using cmi.core.score to reflect a users progress within a course.

For example, let’s have a course that doesn’t have any assessments and only 2 accordion components. Is it advised to update cmi.core.score.raw to 50 % when one accordion is completed? Or maybe even 20 % if the accordion has five items and the user viewed two of them?

My main question is, if this is SCORM-compliant or if cmi.core.score is strictly for assessments.

Thanks

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Use cmi.core.score for non-assessments
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 21 April 2020, 9:59 AM

Well, strictly speaking, so long as the data you're attempting to write to that field is 'a normalized value between 0 and 100', then you're SCORM-compliant from a data point of view.

However, one of the key advantages of SCORM is portability i.e. if I build something that's SCORM-conformant I should be able to install it on any SCORM-conformant LMS and it'll 'just work'* - so by doing something like this you're obviously creating something that won't just work and therefore making a course that's not 'portable'.

Whether that's actually an issue or not is another matter. But you can pretty much guarantee that if you go down this road then sooner or later you'll find this gets moved to another LMS ;-)

* cue howls of derisive laughter from anyone who's ever worked with Cornerstone or similar...

Picture of Markus Görlich
Re: Use cmi.core.score for non-assessments
by Markus Görlich - Tuesday, 21 April 2020, 1:26 PM

Alright, thanks for your answer.

I’ll keep the score then specifically for assessments.

In this regard, I did open another thread on how to update the score on each completed assessment (assessments:complete) instead of when all assessments are completed (assessment:complete).

It would be awesome, if you could give me a push in the right direction.