Registered plugin has no details
by Sam Howell - Thursday, 23 April 2020, 6:19 PM

I recently developed my first theme and registered it by following the instructions in the Adapt docs.

My theme appears in a search (see attached), but appears to be missing all of its details (and more importantly the link to the GitLab repo).

I've also included my bower.json file below in case I've made a mistake somewhere.

Note that I've made a couple of minor changes since I registered the plugin, such as changing the homepage from my personal website to the location of the repo, as well as version numbers, author etc. I made sure I included all the information that was asked for at the time of registering (including .bowerrc):

{
  "name": "adapt-freelearning",
  "version": "1.3.0",
  "framework": ">=5",
  "homepage": "https://gitlab.com/5am/adapt-freelearning",
  "issues": "",
  "theme": "freelearning",
  "displayName": "freelearning",
  "description": "Default theme for freelearning Adapt courses",
  "main": "js/theme.js",
  "authors": [
    "Sam Howell <mail@samhowell.uk>"
  ],
  "keywords": [
    "adapt-plugin",
    "adapt-theme"
  ],
  "license": "GPL-3.0",
  "ignore": [
    "**/.*",
    "node_modules",
    "bower_components",
    "test",
    "tests"
  ],
  "targetAttribute": "_freelearning"
}

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Registered plugin has no details
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 24 April 2020, 9:22 AM

We actually only officially support Github... so I'm surprised you managed to get it to work at all!

by Sam Howell - Friday, 24 April 2020, 1:30 PM

That's a shame. Guess I'll have to create a Github account then.

To properly register it through Github, will I need to now remove it from the registry somehow? Any ideas how I can do this and start again?

Thanks

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 24 April 2020, 2:13 PM

TBH I don't know, this is not something anyone has ever done before. There is an 'unregister' command in the Adapt CLI...

by Sam Howell - Friday, 24 April 2020, 2:21 PM

Not sure how I'm going to unregister it now...

There wasn't mention that I had to have a GitHub account in the CLI, nor the instructions; they only mentioned GitHub as an example:

Your package must be available at a Git endpoint (e.g. git://github.com/<user>/<repo_name>.git).

Therefore I tried to proceed using my GitLab repo (the only one I currently have). After failing and not knowing why (I can't remember the exact error message now and can't retrieve it), I did some research and found a lot of people had a similar issue using Bower. I tried one of their suggestions:

git config --global url."https://".insteadOf git://

...which then enabled me to register my plugin (output read something like "successfully registered plugin" in green).

However, clearly it hasn't worked as, like you said, I need a GitHub repo. But now I can't unregister the plugin as I don't have Github credentials to authorise this from the CLI...

This will unregister the plugin at undefined
GitHub username

Suggestions appreciated.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 24 April 2020, 3:57 PM

Sorry you've run into this, at the time we set this up and wrote those instructions GitLab usage was pretty rare - people mostly used it internally and just used GitHub for anything public.

I'll update it to point out that it assumes you're using GitHub and that anything else is likely to be unsupported.

In future, if you run into anything like this please do feel free to ask on/search these forums or on the gitter chat before proceeding.

I'll see if anyone knows how you/we might go about unregistering the plugin.

by Sam Howell - Friday, 24 April 2020, 4:20 PM

Thanks Matt!

For now I'll consider creating a GitHub account (though I've always wanted to steer clear of anything Microsoft). I suppose I can't re-register it on GitHub until it's unregistered...

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 24 April 2020, 5:06 PM

I've always wanted to steer clear of anything Microsoft

I used to be of that mindset but these days they're a very different company to what they used to be (thankfully)

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 24 April 2020, 5:15 PM

If you want Gitlab support to be added please vote here: https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt-cli/issues/122

by Sam Howell - Sunday, 26 April 2020, 8:46 AM

Thanks Matt. The irony of course being I need a GitHub account to vote for this. But thanks for raising the issue.